Would installing windows xp mode cause invalid activation RRS feed

Answers

• "Richard79408" wrote in message news:212dc25d-37e5-4a34-847c-c973ef08adbc...

[1] the computer is lic for windows 7--I lost the upgrade disk so I had to order and pay for  the recovery disks--Not sure there is a number with that set of disks.

[2] No error that I could see--it would start to work and then quit--just stopped working--after several tries  I decided on a reinstall

[3] The code is being refused every time it tries to activate--

code OxC0044008  Description--The activation server determined that the specified product key could not be used.

Perhaps I should of put an older version of windows in first then upgraded

anyway sorry I cannot provide more infor for an intelligent diagnosis

Richard

Richard G Fentiman

Hmm -
    The Recovery Disks would only have been for the original Operating System.
    The C004C008 error means that the Key has been activated too many times in too short a period, and now requires telephone activation.
    Unfortunately I can't tell whether the Key is an Upgrade one, or a Full Install one  (Darin may be able to assist there.

Please read the following VERY carefully - as it's critical.
    It appears that your machine came with one version of Windows 7 on it - which you then used some form of Upgrade on, to get it to Win 7 Pro?

Note that this is NOT the way a machine ordered with Win 7 Pro would leave the factory.
    If the machine had originally had Vista on, during the qualifying period for the free upgrade (your machine appears to be much too new for this), then the Upgrade disk would be a System Builder disk, with an appropriate System Builder Key.

This Key is currently in the report - *****-*****-6HCT8-8RTGR-PQPFK
    Is this Key in use on any other machine?
    Is this the Key that came with your Upgrade disk?  (You say you lost the disk - did you retain or recover the key before the reformat?)

If this Key is in use in any other machine  - you cannot use it in this one without de-activating (reformatting) the other machine.

ONLY If this is the Key that came with your upgrade, then you can try using telephone activation
    telephone activation.
     Click on the Start button
    in the Search box, type
    SLUI   4
    and hit the Enter key
    follow the instructions - but when asked which service you require by the telephone ansafone, do NOT reply - this should force an operator to respond, who can deal with you.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 12:20 AM

All replies

• Richard G Fentiman

Let me try again--I got an invalid script error in posting this--

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):

-----------------------------------------

Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 0

Cached Online Validation Code: 0x0

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6HCT8-8RTGR-PQPFK

Windows Product Key Hash: +KJh7HnGv4LYKcHU54w3rGKEZRA=

Windows Product ID: 00371-152-8065295-85662

Windows Product ID Type: 5

Windows License Type: Retail

Windows OS version: 6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.048

ID: {878586C2-5C09-4402-AED1-5FDA7686C427}(1)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Product Name: Windows 7 Professional

Architecture: 0x00000009

Build lab: 7600.win7_gdr.110408-1633

TTS Error:

Validation Diagnostic:

Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->

ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

File Exists: No

WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109 N/A

OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{878586C2-5C09-4402-AED1-5FDA7686C427}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.048</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-PQPFK</PKey><PID>00371-152-8065295-85662</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1462106862-3111049429-4024214311</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>LENOVO</Manufacturer><Model>2842FBU</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>LENOVO</Manufacturer><Version>6JET88WW (1.46 )</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20110401000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>F1B83607018400F8</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>LENOVO</OEMID><OEMTableID>TP-6J   </OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->

Software licensing service version: 6.1.7600.16385

Name: Windows(R) 7, Professional edition

Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, RETAIL channel

Activation ID: e838d943-63ed-4a0b-9fb1-47152908acc9

Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f

Extended PID: 00371-00170-152-806529-01-1033-7600.0000-1822011

Installation ID: 012741315703889213661326313286055216911844311776250651

Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338

Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339

Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341

Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340

Partial Product Key: PQPFK

License Status: Initial grace period

Time remaining: 38280 minute(s) (26 day(s))

Remaining Windows rearm count: 3

Trusted time: 7/1/2011 8:50:43 AM

Windows Activation Technologies-->

HrOffline: 0x00000000

HrOnline: 0x00000000

HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000

Event Time Stamp: 6:30:2011 17:34

ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395

Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395

HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

HWID Data-->

HWID Hash Current: NAAAAAIAAgABAAIAAAACAAAAAgABAAEA6GFsTpWw1rbkLHp/+DZePhbROh7UXySVps5Gyg==

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->

N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->

BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes

Windows marker version: 0x20001

OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes

BIOS Information:

ACPI Table Name           OEMID Value     OEMTableID Value

APIC                                    LENOVO                               TP-6J  

FACP                                   LENOVO                               TP-6J  

HPET                                    LENOVO                               TP-6J  

BOOT                                  LENOVO                               TP-6J  

MCFG                                 LENOVO                               TP-6J  

SLIC                                      LENOVO                               TP-6J  

SSDT                                    PmRef                  CpuPm

SSDT                                    PmRef                  CpuPm

Richard G Fentiman
    Friday, July 1, 2011 9:03 PM
  • "Richard79408" wrote in message news:4429e2d3-87c7-4d69-bd5d-b836c0808916...

Richard G Fentiman

Hmm - Not sure whether you're referring to the host OS or the  guest one!  :)
    Your problem with Win 7 is that you haven't yet activated it - what problems are you having doing so?

--

Friday, July 1, 2011 9:14 PM
  • Greetings, It is a little strange  I have a lenovo and it comes with an upgrade to windows seven--it went down and I could not get their disks to work for some reason.

So I used my other windows 7 pro program which has one or two computers on it--and it installed and worked just fine. It passed activation so I went ahead and win xp mode on-which requires a long check before doing so.

I turn it on the next day and I get that now my windows seven needs activated again--I put the product info back in but now it refuses to take it.

Richard

Richard G Fentiman
    Friday, July 1, 2011 9:54 PM
  • "Richard79408" wrote in message news:f99dfb5d-3abd-47ea-bad5-62d97d9df89b...

Greetings, It is a little strange  I have a lenovo and it comes with an upgrade to windows seven--it went down and I could not get their disks to work for some reason.

So I used my other windows 7 pro program which has one or two computers on it--and it installed and worked just fine. It passed activation so I went ahead and win xp mode on-which requires a long check before doing so.

I turn it on the next day and I get that now my windows seven needs activated again--I put the product info back in but now it refuses to take it.

Richard

Richard G Fentiman
    OK -

For what version and edition of Windows is the Computer actually licensed, according to the OCA sticker?

When you received the 'free update' disk, you should have received another Key with it - have you tried using that? for which edition was it?
    What error messages did you get when attempting to use the upgrade disk again?
    At what point is the Key being refused? what EXACT error message do you get?

--

Friday, July 1, 2011 10:05 PM
  • [1] the computer is lic for windows 7--I lost the upgrade disk so I had to order and pay for  the recovery disks--Not sure there is a number with that set of disks.

[2] No error that I could see--it would start to work and then quit--just stopped working--after several tries  I decided on a reinstall

code OxC0044008  Description--The activation server determined that the specified product key could not be used.

Richard

Richard G Fentiman
    Friday, July 1, 2011 11:44 PM
  • "Richard79408" wrote in message news:212dc25d-37e5-4a34-847c-c973ef08adbc...

[1] the computer is lic for windows 7--I lost the upgrade disk so I had to order and pay for  the recovery disks--Not sure there is a number with that set of disks.

Richard

Richard G Fentiman

Hmm -
    The Recovery Disks would only have been for the original Operating System.
    The C004C008 error means that the Key has been activated too many times in too short a period, and now requires telephone activation.
    Unfortunately I can't tell whether the Key is an Upgrade one, or a Full Install one  (Darin may be able to assist there.

Please read the following VERY carefully - as it's critical.
    It appears that your machine came with one version of Windows 7 on it - which you then used some form of Upgrade on, to get it to Win 7 Pro?

Note that this is NOT the way a machine ordered with Win 7 Pro would leave the factory.
    If the machine had originally had Vista on, during the qualifying period for the free upgrade (your machine appears to be much too new for this), then the Upgrade disk would be a System Builder disk, with an appropriate System Builder Key.

This Key is currently in the report - *****-*****-6HCT8-8RTGR-PQPFK
    Is this Key in use on any other machine?
    Is this the Key that came with your Upgrade disk?  (You say you lost the disk - did you retain or recover the key before the reformat?)

If this Key is in use in any other machine  - you cannot use it in this one without de-activating (reformatting) the other machine.

ONLY If this is the Key that came with your upgrade, then you can try using telephone activation
    telephone activation.
     Click on the Start button
    in the Search box, type
    SLUI   4
    and hit the Enter key
    follow the instructions - but when asked which service you require by the telephone ansafone, do NOT reply - this should force an operator to respond, who can deal with you.

--

Saturday, July 2, 2011 12:20 AM
  • Installing XP Mode does not affect the host's activation status.  Using a Windows 7 Pro product key that is already in use on another computer will affect the activation status of the new installation (and eventually the original one).
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 1:35 AM
    Answerer
  • [1] I looked at the box and it is an upgrade from windows vista. I can also upgrade it from an xp installation. I have the xp--I didn't like Vista

[2] Yes, thatis what happened--

[3] Yes, the key is in use on two other machines--It is good for three

[4] No, it is not the key that came with the upgrade--It is the key that I used when I installed another windows 7 over the one on the machine

Ok--This version of windows 7 is lic for three computers but from reading it looks like I am going to have to reformat the drive in order to use this version of windows seven.

Would that be a fair assessment?

So my conclusion is to reformat the drive--put xp on it and then install windows seven pro--Which should rememdy my issue with activation or, will that do it?

I can see that at this point telephone activation is not going to work if I read you correctly.

Richard

Richard G Fentiman
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 2:16 AM
  • The only edition of Windows 7 retail that is good for three computers is the Family Pack, and that is Home Premium.  You have Professional.  Professional licenses are only valid on one computer at a time.  Where on the box does it say that you can activate it on three computers?

Go ahead and install XP and then you can use a Windows 7 upgrade license. However, your problem really is that you are activating the same Professional product key on more than one computer.  That is the source of your problem.

If you do use a Windows 7 upgrade key then do not format the drive before starting Windows 7 Setup.  An upgrade key is only valid if you have a previous copy of Windows on the computer at the time you start Setup.  After you start Setup and enter the upgrade key you can format the drive if you wish but it is not necessary.  Windows 7 is installed by an image copy, not a file copy like XP, so it is OK not to format. 

I repeat, I seriously doubt that your copy of Professional allows for three simultaeous activations.

Saturday, July 2, 2011 3:05 AM
    Answerer
  • "Cbarnhorst" wrote in message news:54a05bc4-4df0-4c65-a818-042afd15b9b0...

The only edition of Windows 7 retail that is good for three computers is the Family Pack, and that is Home Premium.  You have Professional.  Professional licenses are only valid on one computer at a time.  Where on the box does it say that you can activate it on three computers?

Go ahead and install XP and then you can use a Windows 7 upgrade license. However, your problem really is that you are activating the same Professional product key on more than one computer.  That is the source of your problem.

If you do use a Windows 7 upgrade key then do not format the drive before starting Windows 7 Setup.  An upgrade key is only valid if you have a previous copy of Windows on the computer at the time you start Setup.  After you start Setup and enter the upgrade key you can format the drive if you wish but it is not necessary.  Windows 7 is installed by an image copy, not a file copy like XP, so it is OK not to format. 

I repeat, I seriously doubt that your copy of Professional allows for three simultaeous activations.

I totally agree - also you need to remember that OS from which you upgrade needs to be activated - if the XP you intend to use for the purpose is installed on another machine, its activation status will be changed by activating it on this PC.
    our should reinstall the ORIGINAL VISTA using the manufacturer's Recovery system, and then upgrade from that.

--

Saturday, July 2, 2011 8:03 AM
  • Greetings,

I appreciate your help here and I have decided upon a solution--just for your information--I am going to start over--but since I have just retired--I am moving to a different operating system. I have the time to learn it now.  And, guys, I went out on the internet and fould windows 7 pro upgrade with three computer install.

I have no idea if that is good or bad for you folks--but I purchased mine from best buy here in town.

Again thanks

Richard

Richard G Fentiman
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:54 AM
  • I repeat.  Where on or in the box does it say that it is a three computer copy of Windows 7 Pro?  Unless you understand that Microsoft has never issued such a beast, you will always have this problem.  You need three different product keys for three installations of Pro.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 1:19 PM
    Answerer
  • Just to reinforce what Colin said, there are no legitimate windows 7 professional retail 3 pack licenses. Your report shows a retail product key. The only thing I found on the internet for a 3 pack pro is an OEM system builder packs. Doesn't sound like you meet the license requirements for a system builder.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 1:44 PM
    Answerer
  • Correct.  A three pack contians three different OEM product keys anyway.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 3:53 PM
    Answerer