Creating Windows XP Backups for Two Used PC's RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought two used Dell PC's from a guy who closed out a business.  The Windows XP Pro is pre-installed but I have no install disks if the PC's ever go down.

There are COA stickers on each cabinet.

How do I go about creating disks and using these keys?  I am not sure if this an OEM or not. 

Thanks

Bubba
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 4:19 PM

Answers

• Bubba1960,

To get specific support for these two Dells, go to this page and enter the Service Tags of the two Dells:  http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

If you see a blue "www.dell.com" bar at the top of the screen for 2.0 seconds while the Dells are booting up right before they get to Windows, then your system has Dell PC Restore by Symantec which wll reimage the C: drive from a hidden partition.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 4:47 PM

All replies

• How to replace missing Microsoft software: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Saturday, January 5, 2008 4:25 PM
  • Bubba1960,

To get specific support for these two Dells, go to this page and enter the Service Tags of the two Dells:  http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

If you see a blue "www.dell.com" bar at the top of the screen for 2.0 seconds while the Dells are booting up right before they get to Windows, then your system has Dell PC Restore by Symantec which wll reimage the C: drive from a hidden partition.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 4:47 PM
  • Is there any other way besides Dell to create these?   They are asking me for information I cannot provide them like who originally bought them, when, purchase order #'s.  All I have is the tag # that is emdedded in the bios and the COA stickers.  I have nothing else as I bought these off Craig's list from a guy who liquidates closed businesses and resells the office stuff.  The only place I see www.dell.com is in the middle of the screen under Dell on the splash screen.  There is nothing mentioning OEM on COA stickers.  Just the key and under it the word Dell.

Thanks

Bubba
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 9:38 PM
  • If Dell will not supply the original Dell OEM Windows XP Reinstallation CDs, then your only alternative is to purchase generic OEM versions of Windows XP.  Visit Newegg.com for good pricing on OEM versions of Windows XP.

Microsoft Policy Regarding Refurbished PCs:

If the refurbisher does not have the original recovery media, they may be able to obtain the recovery media from the original manufacturer of that PC. A new Windows license is required for a refurbished PC if:

The refurbisher cannot obtain the original recovery media,

or

The PC does not have a hard-disk based recovery image.

In this case, the refurbisher must purchase a new license in order to deliver a genuine Windows operating system experience with the refurbished PC.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 9:52 PM
  • Bubba1960,

Gather the service tag #s of the Dells.

Go to http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen and enter the service tag #s.

When you get to the specific page for the specific service tag #, click on the "warranty information" link at the lower left.  Click warranty status.  On the warranty status page, click original configuration.  On the original configuration page, look for something along the lines of "KIT..., SOFTWARE..., OVERPACK..., WXPHSP1A, COMPACT DISKETTE W/DOCUMENTATION..., ENGLAND/ENGLISH".  This tells you that the computer shipped with a Dell OS reinstallation CD, in this case for XP Home SP1a.

Next go to the Ownership Transfer page and fill it out.  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/change_order/tag_transfer?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

Once you are acknowledged by Dell as the new owner, you can ask them to send you replacement Dell OS Reinstallation CDs.  They usually charge less than $15 and if both dels came with the same edition of XP, you'd only need one because you could use the same CD on both Dells.

If you know someone who has Dell OS reinstallation CDs that came with their Dell computer, you can use them on your Dells--just be sure to use the correct edition of the Dell OS Reinstallation CD to match the edition of XP on the CoA on the computer.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 4:21 AM
  • I did this and got the reply that they were going to notify me via letter within 15 business days.  I put unknown down for the original owners since I did not know this information.  I had the service tags and express tags for both machines. One came with XP Pro and the other with Windows 2000.  So we will see what happens.   I did run the serial #'s thru a stolen computer data base I have access to and both came up negative with no hits so we will see what happens.

Thanks

Sunday, January 6, 2008 7:59 PM