Defrag Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying out OneCare as an alternative to Norton and AVG in that order but w/ Vista Home Preimum on new HDs.   I have 2 harddrive masters on different channels.  The 1st HD has C: partition as the partition w/ OS and programs.  E: is used for data.  On the second HD the Paging File (fat32) is the F: partition.  G: is for backups.  OneCare reports an unknown error has prevented Windows from performing this task.  Try Tune up again.  The drive it doesn't defrag is the C: drive and it degrags OK running the Command Prompt as an administrator using defrag C:  Processor- Intel DuoCPU 2.33ghz 2.33ghz.  Anybody have any idea what problem OneCare is having?
    • Moved by Francois Burianek [MS] Monday, May 11, 2009 4:38 AM Original post has more to do with OneCare than Vine (From:Microsoft Vine)
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Monday, May 11, 2009 5:12 AM (From:Windows Live OneCare General)
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Try running chkdsk on the C:\ drive, then run tune up. If the issue persists please contact suppor. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:12 AM
  • I didn't run chkdsk, I did this (as I indicated)  "defrags OK running the Command Prompt as an administrator using defrag C: "  and now it it seems to be OK.
    As I said, I'm trying out OneCare as an alternative to Norton and AVG, but now I'm wondering if that's a good thing either.
    I've spent so much time administrating in the last 6 weeks, I beginning to think that the computer experience is more about keeping Windows alive
    that the things I purchased my computers for in the first place.

Defrag (thru OneCare) finished defraging drive C: with 0-1% defragmentation in 15 minutes more or less.

If it hadn't have taken off and finished before I read your suggestion, I would have tried yours.

Thanks for the idea/alternative Stephen,

I wiill still try that.

OneCare reports "Because of the high level of defragmentation, Vol C: could not be completed."
    0-1% reported by Command line defragmentstion.  E,F,G done.
    Jim
    Monday, May 11, 2009 11:07 PM
  • Same thing happened after I ran it after logging chkdsk /f at the run line.
    I didn't see chkdsk run but it should have scheduled a dos run before startup.
    In any case the problem is the same as before with OneCare. 
    Only it is stated this way, verbatum,
    "*Because of the high levels of disk fragmentation, starred volumes could not be completed in this Tune-up and are marked for defragmentation in later Tune-ups."
    Command line defrag reports 0-1% fragmentation on the C: drive.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:08 AM
  • The original reply was from JimR. :-)
    Ignore the report from OneCare tune-up, it is simply due to the way that OneCare executes the Defrag for a limited time without actually checking if the disk is fragmented.
    It's a stupid report item that really should have been removed long ago.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:24 PM