none
What version of Money can use 21 character tickers/symbols? RRS feed

• Question

• If you go to http://www.schwabcontent.com/symbology/us_eng/financial_software_msmoney.html and press the continue button a few times you get picture of a Money screen that allows 21 characters to be entered as an investment symbol. They use an investment type of 'Other' (though only options have symbols this long).

I have tried adding an investment in Money 2006, Money 2007 (Home and Business, no service pack) and the Sunset editions. All allow 15 characters to be entered and then only retain 12 of them.

I am wondering what version of Money Schwab were using that allows 21 character symbols?

Sunday, March 27, 2011 5:44 PM

All replies

• I think that was done by a graphics program. Note that the big symbol is in a different font color than the other characters in the image.

Note that PocketSense has a new version that allows a big symbol to be used to fetch a quote at Yahoo but present a different symbol to Money with the quote.

Sunday, March 27, 2011 6:28 PM
  • Could be, the text does look slightly different, though if I zoom in I can't really tell. Interesting if they actually did that!

Yes I have been looking into the PocketSense scripts. Does that mean you have to invent a new symbol for every new option or is there an automatic way to do this?

• Proposed as answer by ameridan Monday, March 28, 2011 4:59 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ameridan Monday, March 28, 2011 5:00 PM
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 6:49 PM
  • You fetch quote that many symbols where adding a substitute symbol is a  big chore? You could use an editor with macro capabilities. You might be able to generate a section with Excel. But it's probably going to make a symbol as you enter the symbols. You could use a sequence such as s:fs001, s:fs002, s:fs003, etc if you don't want to think up something more meaningful. The 's:' is the Pocketsense prefix to identify the substitute symbol that will be sent to Money.

Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:09 PM
  • Io.sys (is this Ian also?)

The easiest solution would be to use the truncated 12-character symbols as the mapping alternates, rather than making up dummy symbols.

• Proposed as answer by ameridan Monday, March 28, 2011 5:02 PM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 5:02 PM
  • The easiest solution would be to use the truncated 12-character symbols as the mapping alternates, rather than making up dummy symbols.

Easy, but it would truncate away the strike price. That would not be compatible with somebody who wanted to do a call spread or a put spread. Those involve selling an option at one strike price, and buying another put/call option on the same security and expiration date-- but with a different strike price. http://content.schwab.com/symbology/us_eng/
    Monday, March 28, 2011 5:24 PM
  • You can tell i have never bought options, I guess.  OptionsXpress, Fidelity and Schwab all report these transactions in their OFX statement downloads.  Too bad  Io.sys doesn't deal with a broker that will provide this service so he wouldn't have get the quotes from Yahoo.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 9:11 PM
  • I know it's been a while since I asked this question but I did come upwith a scheme for taking the new option symbols and converting them into symbols for Money that were readable, less than 12 characters and still contained the original stock symbol, price and date.

I built a spreadsheet to do the conversion. Doesn't seem like there is a way to post it here?

Ameridan: I do use a broker that supplies OFX files, and yes I am Ian. Cal is right that truncated symbols do not work, I have examples from my own trading, things really got messed up when I imported the OFX files unedited.

Friday, June 3, 2011 6:41 PM
  • I know it's been a while since I asked this question but I did come upwith a scheme for taking the new option symbols and converting them into symbols for Money that were readable, less than 12 characters and still contained the original stock symbol, price and date.

I built a spreadsheet to do the conversion. Doesn't seem like there is a way to post it here?

You could post a *.xlsx file to http://www.speedyshare.com/ and post the link here. The file will disappear after a while, so you could edit the link from your post when the spreadsheet is no longer available.
    Friday, June 3, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Or you could also try sending to me and I can update the blog page http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/02/17/new-options-symbology-microsoft-money-compatible/ where we started all of this :) or create a brand new Blog page with you as the author if you wish...

Are you using the mapping option within PocketSense?

Saturday, June 4, 2011 12:05 AM