Writing File With Script Running On WHS to A Shared Dir - Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a script running off the C drive on WHS backing up my SQL server data.  I want to write the backups to a folder that has duplication.  When I use either UNC or the location on the D drive  that purportedly has the shared folders (which I am not sure is an actual file location) it fails.  I can write it no problem to the C drive.  I am running script as an administrator so I don't think it is a permission issue.  Bottom line is I would like to write to a folder on WHS  that has duplication.   Any Ideas.

Thanks
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Kevin,
    you should never write directly to the folder in drive D:, always use the shares as target.
    What do you mean with "I am running script as an administrator  ..."? How exactly? Do you use another account, which is not the builtin Administrator account and is not created via WHS console?
    Would you share the script in detail (since blind troubleshooting is not really productive)?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 10:53 AM
  • More details about how it fails or error messages would help also.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:25 PM
  • I believe my script is trapping the error so the message is what I wrote.  The essence of it is that it cannot find the file.  It would appear the script does not recognize UNC which I assume is the only safe way to access the shard folders.  My guess it that this is noting special about my script but a generic problem.  The script is just being run as a batch file. 

I know the script works on some level since I can write to the C drive using "C:\MyDir\"

As to the account question - no.  the only accounts are the built in ones and the user ones I have created via the console.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:38 PM
  • KevinGW said:

I believe my script is trapping the error so the message is what I wrote.  The essence of it is that it cannot find the file.  It would appear the script does not recognize UNC which I assume is the only safe way to access the shard folders.  My guess it that this is noting special about my script but a generic problem.  The script is just being run as a batch file. 

I know the script works on some level since I can write to the C drive using "C:\MyDir\"

As to the account question - no.  the only accounts are the built in ones and the user ones I have created via the console.

You might try doing it in 2 steps:  Run your script first to write to the C drive, then run a batch file to copy the MDF to your network share.

Can you post your script?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:47 PM