What do to about "offline files" and connected computers before re-install? RRS feed

• Question

• I had a drive issue, removed and replaced it and everything looked great...until, apparently something about the SATA controller or the new drives began corrupting data. Now, it wants to chkdsk DATA -- but since it's taking nearly an hour for each 10,000 files out of over 1 million, I don't think I can wait for that to complete.

And I can't even open the console:

Event ID: 5000
    EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe P2 6.0.0.0, P3 4acceb5f P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 4accead8, P7 334, P8 1b, P9 system.io.ioexception, P10 NIL.

So, I'm thinking that my best bet at this point is to wipe it clean and start from scratch. The problem is, I have a number of systems running Win7 Pro with Offline files for the Desktop, Music, Photos, etc.

I've never used offline files before nor re-installed WHS. What is the recommended process here, considering I can't "unjoin" my systems through the console first?

Thanks!

-Patrick
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:14 PM

Answers

• No need to uninstall the client. Before you join them to the new server, you should make sure the server is at the same patch level as the old one. then just run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe on each client.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 12, 2010 7:54 PM

All replies

• You should:
    • Turn off offline files,
    • remap shell folders to your local computers.
    I'll also note that offline files doesn't work reliably with Windows Home Server; something about the interaction between the local (client) Offline Files cache and the server (WHS) Drive Extender functionality may result in errors trying to open some file types while truly offline, e.g. when you have a laptop that you've taken out of the house. So I would recommend against turning offline files back on or remapping shell folders post-reinstallation.

Friday, February 12, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Ken-

Thanks for the advice! The systems that "offline files" are pretty much housebound, even the notebook.

What about the "joined" part? Should I just uninstall the client on the PCs and then re-install after the new WHS build is complete?

Thanks!
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:58 PM
  • No need to uninstall the client. Before you join them to the new server, you should make sure the server is at the same patch level as the old one. then just run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe on each client.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Thank you so much, Ken!
    Friday, February 12, 2010 10:13 PM