New to MSN Webmaster Tools - Quick Question RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just started using the MSN Webmaster Tools system about ten minutes ago.

I had no problem at all getting my site set up, validated, etc.   In fact, I see no problems at all.  

I do have a question:

In the tab that allows me to see how my site ranks for a specific keyword phrase,  the result that comes up is a number 1 in a box.

I don't see any indication of what that result actually means.

I know it doesn't mean that I'm in the number 1 spot, because I'm not.  I'm also wondering if it could mean I'm on the number 1 page of results, because the site has been increasing in the MSN rankings very quickly over the past few days.

At my last check it was in position 19.

Do the results in the WMT system show something that is "going to happen", "has already happened" or ???

I'm also thinking that maybe that '1 in a box' isn't actually the result,  but just the WMT system telling me that there is only 1 page in the results of the search I'm actually doing in WMT.

If so..  then how do I use the keyword search tab?

Just a bit of confusion on my part I'm guessing Smile

Thanks for any/all replies on this one.

Woobie

Sunday, July 6, 2008 3:31 PM

Answers

• @Woobie - the keyword tool helps you find the pages from within your site that rank the best for a given keyword. And, as you noticed, this generally does not help you understand how you rank in the Live Search results all up.

nate

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:13 PM

All replies

• @Woobie - the keyword tool helps you find the pages from within your site that rank the best for a given keyword. And, as you noticed, this generally does not help you understand how you rank in the Live Search results all up.

nate

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Hi, Woobie.

In answer to your question the "1" in the box indicates you are looking at page 1 of 1 page of results for your keyword tool.

Nate, I don't understand your comment:  "...does not help you understand how you rank in the Live Search results all up."  What does "all up" mean?

If I ignore "all up", I think I get what you're saying.

But I have some questions on this.  First, the documentation says: "The Keywords tool enables you to evaluate page score for a given keyword for the pages in your site. The page score is a measure of how often a page is returned when a user is searching based on that keyword."

Doesn't the second sentence indicate that there is indeed a correlation between the page score and having that page be listed in the results?

Secondly, if there is no correlation:  How do you expect us to use this information to improve our results in searches?  Presumably the tool was created to provide us with information that can be used to help us optimize our website for searches.

In other words, the tool tells me that I have a couple of pages that score well for "web design".  But those pages don't show in the top x thousand pages of results for a Live search on "web design".  I'm having trouble seeing how the tool adds value.

Thanks....Duane

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:26 AM