none
Calling COM form from AddIn and DIP freeze RRS feed

• Question

• Man have I got a nasty one.  I have a VSTO 3 document-level Add-in and in it, I make use of the Document Information Panel with an embedded InfoPath form.  My InfoPath form has several views in it, which, of course, are all switchable in the DIP.

From my AddIn I also call a VB6 COM component that pops up a form - I don't know too much about it, I must admit, since I didn't make it.

The nasty problem is that after I call the COM form (the COM form seems to operate correctly), my Document Information Panel begins to "freeze up" after switching views.  None of the form components will respond unless I first click on the content area of the document and then back to the DIP.  But then it contines to freeze  after switching views.  This only happens after the COM form is presented.  I'd really like to stop the freezing.

I posted this here because the whole project is an AddIn and if someone has a better suggestion on where to post, please do.  I'd also appreciate any theories on what this might be related to and / or suggestions on what to start chasing down.  I realize I probably won't get a solution from anyone right off the bat.

Thank you all

Friday, January 23, 2009 10:14 PM

All replies

• Ok, well the same thing happens when I leave the AddIn out of the mix and just call the VB6 component from a macro.  So now this is officially the wrong group to post this in.  I would still really appreciate anyone with ideas on what group to post this to or any general ideas as to what might be causing it.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:00 PM
  • More information: If I call ActiveDocument.Activate in my macro immediately after calling Show() on the form, the problem is fixed.

BUT, if I call the Show() method from my AddIn (the AddIn instantiates the object using the new operator while the macro uses CreateObject btw) and then call Application.ActiveDocument.Activate(), the problem persists.  Which makes this a VSTO problem then maybe?

Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:32 PM
  • Also, I went so far as to embed code into the InfoPath form (using VSTA) that calls the COM component instead of having the AddIn call the component and this works without a problem when the form is opened outside of Word and outside of my AddIn.  I even tried loading the DIP up with said InfoPath form in an empty (non-AddIn) word document and the InfoPath form calls the component correctly and I have no problem switching views.  The bug only happens when I try to do all of this from inside my AddIn.

If no one can help, can someone at least give me some guidance on how I can get some tech support from MS?

Monday, January 26, 2009 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for response so late but, as you could see your question is no responsed for a long time, the reason of this happening I think you may put your question in a wrong forum, most of the members in this forum is focus on VSTO technology, but it not include InfoPath.

I think the proper place to ask questions related with InfoPath is InfoPath programming newgroup which you could find the address in this post:Sticky: PLEASE READ FIRST - What is VSTO and non-VSTO resources

Sorry again for any inconvenience.

Thanks

Friday, February 6, 2009 6:04 AM