How to >reclaim< homeserver.com domain RRS feed

• Question

• My old WHS2003 used to have "myname".homeserver.com, but I totally forget what LiveID I used at that time and when trying to use it it on my new WHS 2011 it says that it's not associated with my liveID - which is quite fair!

But how do I reclaim the Domainname, not having the orginally LiveID? How do I prove it's mine...

I would like to have my orginal domainname back as it's quite unique to me :-)

Thanks,

Monday, December 5, 2011 1:12 PM

All replies

• I had the same thing and after waiting weeks for a reply from tech support at "live" I gave up and created a new one. The contact I had with that team was horrible with broken english (you cant tell with typing) and did not understand my questions. It fell on deaf ears.
    Monday, December 5, 2011 4:54 PM
  • If your server's vanity URL was created with a Live ID you never sign into, then it's probably irretrievable. Live IDs expire after a period of inactivity, and refreshing your server's URL isn't considered "activity", because it doesn't actually involve logging into Live. Once the Live ID expires, there's no way to get the URL back if you change hardware, reinstall, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:49 AM
  • More importantly: And if my "vanity URL" (sic) was created with a Live ID that I regularly sign into, then how is the URL reclaimed?

• Edited by RixRix Saturday, February 8, 2014 8:40 AM
    Saturday, February 8, 2014 8:40 AM
  • You go through the process of setting up your Server and when you get to the Remote Access bit log in and the xxx.homeserver.com name should be there.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:11 PM
  • My old WHS2003 used to have "myname".homeserver.com, but I totally forget what LiveID I used at that time and when trying to use it it on my new WHS 2011 it says that it's not associated with my liveID - which is quite fair!

But how do I reclaim the Domainname, not having the orginally LiveID? How do I prove it's mine...

I would like to have my orginal domainname back as it's quite unique to me :-)

Thanks,

Your Windows Live ID should be linked to your email Hot mail account, if you forgot your password you cand reteive it through MS Hotmail, once you log in with your hot mail and password, your web name that you chose should be there. Choose that and your server will re activate it . If you get a responce error "not availible at this time", try it again at a later time and it should activate.

Mark G

• Proposed as answer by Lunker 1 Sunday, February 9, 2014 2:04 AM
    Sunday, February 9, 2014 1:49 AM