My WHS 2011 gets "an unknown error prevented ther serevr from performing the task (backup)" after having installed KB2781272 RRS feed

• Question

• OK so here is my problem. I cannot backup any of my laptops or tablets running W8.x. I followed the trail here and found the  reply, at download and install the hotfix KB 2781272. I did so ( a package of three zipped files) on my server (HP microserver) and now I get this annoying error message. It is obvious that it refers to the KB2781272. On two of my computers that I have tried to backup from the connector has been updated and the machine has been restarted. Should I uninstall the KB hotfix, make a repair from the Server disk or what? I WANT to be able to backup all my computers and preferably with WHS 2011 but I could live with the fact that the W8s cannot. Any solid advice or suggestions?
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 2:36 PM

All replies

• I have applied that hotfix to a number of servers (2) which successfully back up W8 UEFI machines without problem. If I recall correctly, only one of the three files needs to be installed (instructions are not clear) and I chose the one with the latest date.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 4:42 PM
  • Phil is right. Only one of the 3 hot-fixes is needed.

I would refer to the KB article on how to de-install the hot-fix and then reboot the server and install a single hot-fix.

Luc.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 7:12 PM
  • Something must be different on your system(s) compared to mine. I got back to the report and uninstalled the KB as per instructions, I deleted the two computers that are running W8.1 before that and after having restarted re-installed the KB again. Backup status is reporting Successful for my three remaining computers but properties don't find any backups at all. When I click on the option Start a backup for this computer (online computer) I get both the dialog box where I can name the backup as well as the error message box. [An unknown error prevented the server from performing the task. Make sure that all services on the server are running, and then try again.] How do I continue? How do investigarte which services are running and which are not running? Or should I connect my server to a computer with a DVD-drive and try to repair WHS 2011? By the way there was only ONE .msu file in my package so there was no problem finding the application file.
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 9:40 PM
  • re-install connector…

look out for there are "Volume Shadowcopy Sevice" and the "Windows Server" services, such “Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service” etc…

Best,

Howtodo

Friday, October 10, 2014 3:21 PM
  • HOWTO: Start Services

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/htkdfk18(v=vs.110).aspx

Saturday, October 25, 2014 11:26 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem. I applied the hotfix because the backup was failing on my windows 7 machine but now it doesn't even let me start  the process. i've check that the backup services are running on both client and server.

Saturday, November 1, 2014 2:11 AM