Which external USB 2.0 drives work OK? RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed WHS on a HP DV1000 laptop (I know it's not supported, but it works) and it has an 80 GB drive. I want to add an external drive, and I was thinking of a Simpletec 250, but I am wondering about these external drives going into a standby mode after a while. Does anyone have any success stories for external drives?
    Monday, June 18, 2007 4:19 PM

Answers

• Running WHS on a laptop is, per the WHS team, an unsupported scenario. WHS is naturally a 24/7 device, and tends to keep all the hardware busy. This may result in overheating of a laptop, which is typically challenged in this sort of situation.

That said, a number of people are running WHS on laptops with success...
    Friday, June 22, 2007 2:26 PM

All replies

• I have a western digital 250gb My book connected via usb2.0.  It spins down after 10 mins of inactivity and it doesn't seem to cause WHS any problems.  I think because the controller part of the drive stays alive it makes no difference whether the drive is spinning or not.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 11:44 PM
  • running on a laptop sounds like a great idea to me... low power consumption + small.

I thought about searching on ebay for a working laptop with a bad screen... you don't need a good screen for WHS anyway + you can hook up an external monitor to most laptops anyway
    Friday, June 22, 2007 12:45 PM
  • Running WHS on a laptop is, per the WHS team, an unsupported scenario. WHS is naturally a 24/7 device, and tends to keep all the hardware busy. This may result in overheating of a laptop, which is typically challenged in this sort of situation.

That said, a number of people are running WHS on laptops with success...
    Friday, June 22, 2007 2:26 PM
  • I would suggest not proceeding with the laptop platform.  I was using a Compaq nc6000 laptop with 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD and two external USB 1TB WD My Book drives.  Using the OEM builder version of WHS, all seems to work fine for 3 - 4 mnths.  Then I start getting disk errors and the HDD appear as missing.

Have since purchased, a HP MediaSmart Server EX475 with two internal 500GB drives, still using the external USB 1 TB WD drives.  Interesting observation though after setting up the HP MediaSmart unit, I received an error from one of the same drives, the other one seems to be fine.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:02 PM
  • have since removed the existing USB drive from the storage pool (actually turned it off altogether).  Seems as though internal disks is the way to go.  The noise level is also signifcantly lower (the USB disk was constantly spinning).  Having 1TB is still pretty decent, based on current demand.

all the best

brianb

Sunday, August 17, 2008 5:22 PM