Re-importing CRM data RRS feed

• Question

• I recently exported the whole of my CRM database to an excel spreadsheet to be sent off and to another company and updated. I received the spreadsheet back but now I am unsure how I am going to reimport the data. 

The issue is iI was unaware you had to tick the 'Make this data available for reimporting' option when exporting all the data. Because of this, whenever I upload the new updated spreadsheet it rejects all the accounts as duplicates instead of simply updating them. 

To solve this I tried re-exporting the whole of CRM and then updating the columns one by one, by copying the columns from the new updates spreadsheet, into the exported one, with the aim of reimporting this spreadsheet. However, since this data has come back certain accounts have been deleted, so the columns, such as address and primary contact, end up being out of line with the account name.

The only way around this I can see is exporting the accounts from CRM about 50 at a time, updating the information in that selection, and reimporting them. Although this works, our CRM database has 10,000 accounts and as only I know how to do it, it is going to take a hell of a long time. 

I was just wondering if anyone else had any other ideas relating to how I could update all 10,000 accounts at once, instead of having to do them 50 at a time. I do hope all this makes sense, do feel free to ask for clarification

Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:28 PM

All replies

• The reimport needs the data not been changed anymore. The reason why you can import 50 a time is because it takes less time to modify and reimport, so the data is not changed by other one in system. Even though you have export as reimport at the first time, after a long time you still can't reimport directly as the data has been changed a lot.

I think you can allow duplicate when you import and write the code to do the merge automatically:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12582489/dynamics-crm-merge-two-contacts-with-c-sharp-code-modified-example-from-sdk

Wilson

Friday, December 13, 2013 6:13 AM
  • I would suggest the following:

1. Compare the original exported Account spreadsheet with your updated  sheet to determine which Accounts have been deleted. Enter these in a separate "delta" sheet. (see e.g.http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/use-excel-to-compare-two-lists-of-data-HA001103915.aspx)
    2. Do an export of Accounts that have not been modified after your last export with "available for re-import" checkbox set. Now you should have the same set of Accounts as in your original export (provided no Accounts have been deleted from CRM in the meantime).
    3. Use some Account field (new or existing) to mark to-be-deleted Accounts on the re-import sheet based on your separated "delta" sheet. You should be able to use Excel match() function for this.
    4. Do a re-import to update to-be-deleted Accounts in CRM. Bulk delete these Accounts based on the "delete this account" field you set in step 3.
    5. Do another export as in step 2. Now you should have a re-importable list of Accounts that matches your updated Excel list.

Follow me on Twitter: @PekkaSahlsten

Saturday, December 14, 2013 1:30 PM