Active Directory Requirements with OCS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can someone clarify the Active Directory requirements for OCS 2007. In the beta document OCS_ADGuide.doc page 3, the following is mentioned concerning DCs and domain mode.

Domain controllers are running Microsoft Windows® 2000 Server, SP4 (Service Pack 4) or Microsoft Windows Server® 2003 SP1 or Windows Server 2003 R2 or later operating systems. (Windows Server 2003 R2 is recommended).

Global catalog servers are running Windows 2000 Server SP4, or Windows Server 2003 SP1, or Windows Server 2003 R2 or later. (Windows Server 2003 R2 is recommended).

All domains in which you deploy Office Communications Server are using Windows 2000 native mode or higher. You cannot deploy Office Communications Server in a mixed mode domain.

OCS_StandardEditionDeployment.doc

In the beta document OCS_StandardEditionDeployment.doc page 2 the following is mentioned concerning DCs and domain mode.

Microsoft Windows Server® 2003 operating system with Service Pack 1 (SP1) or R2
    SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    MSXML 6.0 Parser, which is installed automatically on the Standard Edition Server if you do not already have it installed.

Active Directory® Domain Services in Microsoft Windows Server® 2003 native mode in all domains where you plan to deploy Office Communications Server or host Office Communications Server users.

So my question is. Which document should we believe? Can we install it in a Windows 2000 SP4 native mode domain or do we need a Windows 2003 SP1 native mode?

Thanks

Jacques
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 1:20 PM

Answers

• I actually worked with MS to clarify this a few weeks ago.  At that time I was told that the supported configurations would be Windows 2003 SP1, R2, or Windows 2000 SP4.  Windows 2003 SP2 wasn't mentioned at the time, but I believe that the preferred configuration at RTM will be Windows 2003 R2 SP2 (I think SP2 support began with the RC version).  I don't have any indication that they will drop Windows 2000 SP4 support, but given that we're dealing with a pre-release product all of this is subject to change.  At a minimum you must be running in Windows 2000 native mode for the forest.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 2:16 PM

All replies

• I actually worked with MS to clarify this a few weeks ago.  At that time I was told that the supported configurations would be Windows 2003 SP1, R2, or Windows 2000 SP4.  Windows 2003 SP2 wasn't mentioned at the time, but I believe that the preferred configuration at RTM will be Windows 2003 R2 SP2 (I think SP2 support began with the RC version).  I don't have any indication that they will drop Windows 2000 SP4 support, but given that we're dealing with a pre-release product all of this is subject to change.  At a minimum you must be running in Windows 2000 native mode for the forest.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 2:16 PM
  • Thank you for the answers.

Jacques

Thursday, June 7, 2007 2:27 PM