Suddenly Non-Genuine, Part 1: Unable to Run Diagnostic Tool RRS feed

• Question

• Subsequent to contracting some malware over the weekend, I've begun seeing messages to the effect that my copy of Windows was not genuine. Attempting to 'resolve online' just leads me to a webpage that spins but never amounts to anything. After researching the problem I found this forum, but I have been unable to generate the diagnostic report as recommended. I downloaded the program and placed it on my desktop, but pressing 'continue' just leads to it spinning its wheel and amounting to nothing (I've tried letting it run for an hour, in case time was an issue). I do have to go through two security warnings when I try to run the program: an "Open File - Security Warning (Do you want to run this program", and right after that, "Do you want this program to make changes to your computer"--could one or both of these be interfering with the diagnostic tool?
    Monday, October 14, 2013 6:59 PM

Answers

• IN that case you are likely to have some severe file problems..

Please run a full CHKDSK and SFC scan....

Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories

Right-click on the Command Prompt entry

Select Run as Administrator and accept the UAC prompt - the Elevated Command Prompt window should pop up.

At the Command prompt, type

CHKDSK C: /R

and hit the Enter key.

You will be told that the drive is locked,

and the CHKDSK will run at he next boot - hit the Y key, press Enter, and then reboot.

The CHKDSK will take a few hours depending on the size of the drive, so be patient!

After the CHKDSK has run, Windows should boot normally (possibly after a second auto-reboot) -

then run the SFC.

SFC -System File Checker - Instructions

Select Run as Administrator and accept the UAC prompt - the Elevated Command Prompt window should pop up.

SFC /SCANNOW

and hit the Enter key

Wait for the scan to finish - make a note of any error messages - and then reboot.

Copy the CBS.log file created (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) to your desktop (you can't manipulate it directly) and then compress the copy and upload it to your SkyDrive Public folder (http://skydrive.live.com ) and post a link to it so that I can take a look.

Post a new MGADiag report with details of any error messages encountered.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:46 AM

All replies

• To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:35 PM
  • As stated, the MGADiag tool locks up every time I try to run it.
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:09 AM
  • IN that case you are likely to have some severe file problems..

Please run a full CHKDSK and SFC scan....

CHKDSK C: /R

and hit the Enter key.

You will be told that the drive is locked,

and the CHKDSK will run at he next boot - hit the Y key, press Enter, and then reboot.

The CHKDSK will take a few hours depending on the size of the drive, so be patient!

After the CHKDSK has run, Windows should boot normally (possibly after a second auto-reboot) -

then run the SFC.

SFC -System File Checker - Instructions

SFC /SCANNOW

and hit the Enter key

Wait for the scan to finish - make a note of any error messages - and then reboot.

Copy the CBS.log file created (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) to your desktop (you can't manipulate it directly) and then compress the copy and upload it to your SkyDrive Public folder (http://skydrive.live.com ) and post a link to it so that I can take a look.

Post a new MGADiag report with details of any error messages encountered.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:46 AM