WHS and Microsoft Access - Are they supported, together RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Microsoft Access 2007 database that is split with the front-end running on my PC and the back-end running on a WHS.  Folder duplication is turned on for the folder on the WHS to protect my data.  I get at least once a day where the server stops responding.  I have to reboot the WHS and when I check the Event Viewer, I always see: "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."

Can Microsoft PLEASE respond if this is a supported configuration? (Microsoft back-end database running on the WHS with folder duplication turned on).  I have recommended this configuration to several small businesses and I don't want them to have problems if this isn't supported.

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 5:12 PM

All replies

• WHS isn't the right product for this. WHS is file/data & client backup system for HOME use(ers), not a business server.

I have recommended this configuration to several small businesses and I don't want them to have problems if this isn't supported.

Don't.

PS: If files on the WHS are open > ~24 hours it also comes with file duplication errors.

"Chuck Coleman" wrote in message news:4452f5f2-77c9-44bd-9c83-2c07c4eded74@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have a Microsoft Access 2007 database that is split with the front-end running on my PC and the back-end running on a WHS. Folder duplication is turned on for the folder on the WHS to protect my data. I get at least once a day where the server stops responding. I have to reboot the WHS and when I check the Event Viewer, I always see: "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."

Can Microsoft PLEASE respond if this is a supported configuration? (Microsoft back-end database running on the WHS with folder duplication turned on). I have recommended this configuration to several small businesses and I don't want them to have problems if this isn't supported.

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck

Have a nice day!
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 5:32 PM
  • The error you mention suggests a hardware issue, possibly a failing hard drive. Or it could be a BIOS or driver issue; a quick search on Bing shows a lot of hits pointing at Intel storage controller drivers.

And as I said over in this thread which asks the same question, if you really want a supported configuration, use Windows Server 2008. I doubt that the Windows Home Server team is going to reply in an official capacity here; they don't develop the Jet database engine or support Jet in general. Your best bet is to try to get an answer from the Access team. Or if you're a Microsoft Partner you might be able to use your contacts at Microsoft to get a better answer.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Leen,

Here's my concern.  Windows Server 2008/Small Business Server is over $1,000 for software alone and there are a whole bunch of small businesses with 2 PC's in them.  It's a pretty tough nut to crack.  My observation is that when I turn off Folder Duplication, the problem goes away.  The SMB is using KeepVault as an offsite data backup so I guess I could leave folder duplication turned off and rely on KeepVault to provide the backups. 

Also, I posted this originally to the Access team and they asked me to post it to the WHS team.  I'm in an endless loop.

Chuck

Chuck
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 6:08 PM
  • Windows Home Server just isn't made for that. > My observation is that when I turn off Folder Duplication, the problem > goes away As said, it's won't fail because if files are open > ~ 24 hours there is no problem related to duplication anyway. > Windows Server 2008/Small Business Server is over $1,000 for software > alone Is that how you think about it, or the client thinks about it? I hope you let them do make the final descision on this ;-) So a wrong recommendation of a home solution for a business environment in this case. > I guess I could leave folder duplication turned off and rely on KeepVault > to provide the backups. As a workaround is probably ok, but recommending to business clients. I hope you did let them make the choice for this solution and they know what the consequenses are of choosing a home product in their business environment and you didn;t make that choice for them. Otherwise they could sue you later on for making the bad choice yourself. -- . . . . "Chuck Coleman" wrote in message news:306a9940-3680-4068-b53f-ed6eb1a008b7@communitybridge.codeplex.com... > Leen, > > Here's my concern. Windows Server 2008/Small Business Server is over > $1,000 for software alone and there are a whole bunch of small businesses > with 2 PC's in them. It's a pretty tough nut to crack. My observation is > that when I turn off Folder Duplication, the problem goes away. The SMB is > using KeepVault as an offsite data backup so I guess I could leave folder > duplication turned off and rely on KeepVault to provide the backups. > > Also, I posted this originally to the Access team and they asked me to > post it to the WHS team. I'm in an endless loop. > > Chuck > > -- > Chuck >
    Have a nice day!
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 6:27 PM
  • ... Also, I posted this originally to the Access team and they asked me to post it to the WHS team.  I'm in an endless loop.

What this should tell you (what it tells me) is that the Access team won't support a Jet database on Windows Home Server. If they (the team most closely associated with Jet as used in Access) won't, why would the Home and Small Business Server team (which doesn't support any application software explicitly) do so?

I know this isn't what you want to hear. It is, however, the truth.

Question: have you tried a completely different set of hardware? It seems to me that your problem could be related to hardware, driver stability, etc. Maybe one of the OEM servers from a vendor like HP or Acer would do the job for you? In the end, though, it's going to be up to you to support your product.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 8:29 PM
  • What I would recommend to try is to put the Access Database into a non duplicated folder.

If you are sure, that overnight the Access Database is not locked by any client, set up a script in Scheduled Tasks on the server (you will have to login to server desktop) or a running client, which copies the database file to a duplicated folder using the UNC path to have still the redundancy given by that feature.

Don't forget regular backups of Shared Folders to external media either.

The theory about a hardware or driver issue (with disk or network components) is also very valid. Could you check the event log of the server for related messages at the time of the outage? Maybe you see this behavior only on the Access database, because this is the only permanent open file.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:32 PM
  • A private email from the OP tells me it's almost certainly going to be a driver issue. He had this working fine on an EX47, but he's now on an EX49 (I think, a newer generation from HP anyway) and it no longer works. So he will need to pursue this with HP.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:28 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks.  Unfortunately I've talked to HP so many times that they don't want to talk about it anymore.  They can't explain why it works just fine in my older EX475 but has the problem in the EX495.  THey're saying two things: 1) It's caused because the Access back-end file is open when the server is trying to balance the drives and 2) HP is only repsonsible for their software, not the operating system that's also doing the balancing.  Their position was go bug Microsoft.  Therefore, I don't know how I can get someone to initiate a new driver to fix the problem.  Do you have any ideas?  Also, (just to be dumb), what's an OP?

Thanks for your help and professionalism!

Chuck

Chuck
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:49 PM
  • OP = Original Poster. :)

My take is this: HP is responsible for any HP-specific drivers that they install in their image; it's part of their software, not the operating system. I tend to suspect the differences: when you see something that works on hardware platform A but doesn't work on platform B, you suspect the platform before the OS. ("Platform" in this case includes HBA(s), BIOS, drivers, etc.) I don't know what drivers they're using on the EX49 series; it's possible that they're using "in box" drivers that are part of the Windows Server 2003 installation.

You can (should) also submit a bug report on Connect for this, if you haven't already done so. Though the team is rather busy with Vail at the moment...

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:00 PM