WHS Hanging after high activity RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having an issue with my server since I built it back in March that involves locking up whenever the server sees any high volume activity.  I initially found that it was caused by the nightly backups so I stopped them all since all my data is on the server, and reinstalling windows is rather simple. I also swapped out the ram with ram from one of my other computers. That remedied the problem to a point, I also have the server running uTorrent as a service in the background.  When I load up uTorrent with a number of downloads, and the speeds start to get up to my max DSL bandwidth (200kps download rate) it will frequently lock up on me.  I also have the server running a MsSQL database and actively host websites that I'm developing.  The web & SQL side have no problems, the system runs fine as long as I don't load up uTorrent or try and back up anything (server back up or systems backups).  Any ideas as to why my system would be locking up would be helpful, since at this point I have one project that is in beta testing right now that needs to be up during the day, and I can't rush home whenever the server crashes.

System Specs:

AMD Athlon II X4 630

ASUS M4A785-M Motherboard

Original Ram: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066, Swapped with Corsair DDR2 800

System drive: Seagate 1.5 TB 7200.11 7200rpm

Data Drives: 2 x Seagate 1.5 TB LP 5900rpm, 2 x Western Digital 1tb Green Drives

Chassis: Norco Rackmount, 16 bay hot swappable

No CD rom, no other control cards (yet)

Any chance upgrading to Vail v2 Beta would rectify any of the problems? Will it be difficult to upgrade to the final release of Vail (full wipe of my hard drives)?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:29 PM

Answers

• This sounds like either a problem with your integrated NIC (I assume you're using the NIC on the motherboard) or with your network drivers.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Hatrickwah Friday, September 24, 2010 5:10 PM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:04 PM

All replies

• This sounds like either a problem with your integrated NIC (I assume you're using the NIC on the motherboard) or with your network drivers.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Hatrickwah Friday, September 24, 2010 5:10 PM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:04 PM
  • I have a monitor and keyboard/mouse attached.  The machine locks up, it isn't just inaccessible via the network.  I am using the onbaord NIC, but I don't recall having much luck with a second NIC either, but I can try it out. The onboard NIC driver could be a cause here? or the NIC itself?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:38 PM