WHS drives are now NTFS RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to make a clone/backup of my WHS drives on a Win XP machine. Because I had pulled the drive where My Documents was located, Win XP created a My Documents on the WHS drive next to the DE, in so doing, it changed the partition type of the drive to NTFS [07h]. When I rebuild a new WHS server and put them in, whats the chance of them working?

IS there  any way to patch them back? I have Acronis Disk Director 11 which lets me change partition type.

Bob R
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:58 AM

All replies

• The drives are NTFS, nothing has been changed.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:22 AM
  • OK, then I'm stuck. I'm migrating from a broken HP EX470 to an EX490. I did the original install on the EX490 and then inserted the cloned drives. They show up as unallocated, my assumption is if I add them they get wiped and reformatted. I was expecting a way to get a reinstall that would rebuild the tombstones on the prime drive from the data on the cloned drives. I'm sure there used to be a way to do a "server reinstall" from the install CD but I don't see  it.

I have a server recovery CD, but that involves a messy procedure with connecting the servers to my desktop directly and seems to be a rebuild of the prime drive that would wipe the old backup data. I want to recover 3 years of  backup data in case I should need it.

Bob R
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Try reading this:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cdb387f1-9baa-4ae3-a74b-ff351dc1c0bf

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:57 PM
  • The storage pool from one server can't just be moved to another server with no additional work required to access the data, I'm afraid. For the EX4xx line of servers, the server recovery CD is the only supported way to recover your data.

If you were starting from "dead 470", you would move all your drives from the EX470 to the EX490, making sure to put the system disk in the correct position, then initiate the recovery process per the documentation. You should have two options at that point: one is to perform a factory reset, and one is server recovery. The recovery option would (in this case) probably preserve your backup database, as well as all the data in your shares. It would also update the software on the system partition to the EX490 "base" version, which you would then have to update through the console.

Since you've already tried some additional (and unsupported) variations, you can try the following, though I offer no guarantees:

• Connect the system disk from the old server to some other computer.
    • Delete the 20 GB system partition.
    • Reinstall in the new server, with all other disks also connected.
    • Try a server recovery as above.

If you have a standard installation disk (not the HP recovery disk), and have a way to connect a monitor and an optical drive, you can try the server recovery process by booting from the installation disk. Again, you will need all drives connected.

An alternative is to abandon the backup database and do a factory reset with no disks (other than the new system disk that came with it) in the EX490, then copy data from the old disks to the new server per this FAQ:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:14 PM