Continuous Disk I/O RRS feed

• Question

• Since installing Live Mesh on three PCs (2 Vista 32bit, and 1 XPSP3 32bit), and setting up 5 folders as P2P shares and one as shared and on Live Desktop, all PCs show continous disk activity.

In Task Manager, MOE.EXE is chugging away, hitting 5+GB in I/O Read Bytes and I/O Write Bytes according to task manager in around 5 hours.  I/O Read Bytes is running at around 5MB/sec as I write this.

All PCs have the same set of files (manually synced prior to setting up the P2P folders), and are not showing any significant network I/O.

Has anyone else seen such massive, apparently unproductive IO?  It's kiling my battery life on my laptops.
    • Edited by Bernard Sheppard Monday, August 18, 2008 6:47 AM Clarity, Additional Info
    Monday, August 18, 2008 6:37 AM

Answers

• Hi BJReplay and ln899,

If you're still seeing excessive disk activity for no apparent reason, the best next step would be to submit a bug with your logs attached so that we can take a closer look at what's going on.  There are a number of possible explanations, as Steve and Ken have indicated, but it would be helpful for us to see your logs even so.  Instructions for collecting logs and submitting bugs are in an Announcement at the top of the forums.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:32 PM

All replies

• Manually synchronized folders used to sync via Live Mesh will still sync and produce conflicts between the folders. The expected outcome is that the files will be retained on both ends and the Live Desktop unless you are only doing P2P sync. In any event, all of the contents of the Mesh folders are being scanned and compared.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, August 18, 2008 5:47 PM
  • Hey BJ,

What types of files?  If they're media type files, mp3, wma, mpeg, etc you will see some constant sync there.  When you go to play it, some players update the file with a modified date update, which can cause Live Mesh to try and update them all with a sync

-Ken
    Monday, August 18, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Generally not media files, and in any case, not running any media players.

One set of around 5,000 files at an average size of 1MB are photos (jpg or crw (Canon Raw), and they are not being actively modified or viewed.

Another set of around 15,000 files at an average size of 250kb are documents of various types (pptx, docx, xlsx, etc).  Only around 50 to 100 a day would be touched at all.

I don't think it is down to files being touched by an application.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:32 PM
  • Stephen Boots said:

...In any event, all of the contents of the Mesh folders are being scanned and compared.

Steve, I think this is the problem...

It appears (from a little bit of procmon-ing) that that is the case.  Mesh is not relying on events to detect changes, but appears to be scanning.

I'd suggest that the default mechanism would be to subscribe to file system change notification events, with a scan after startup (but deferred a few minutes to avoid hammering the system on startup) to detect changes that may have occurred while Mesh (MOE.EXE) wasn't running, and a periodic scan to trap any missed changes.

It would be good to have an MS person confirm or deny this :)
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:43 PM
  • Stephen Boots said:

. . .
    all of the contents of the Mesh folders are being scanned and compared.
    -steve

Hmmmm.  I don't notice the constant disk activity that BJR Replay sees.  I'm just using mesh to sync my home and my office computer, about 6 folders.  Every time I start either computer, however, there is five or six minutes of frantic disk activity, such that the computer is pretty much useless because starting up applications is extraordinarily slow.  One really has to start the computer, go for coffee, and come back 5-10 minutes later.

I really like what Live Mesh is doing for me--really simplifies my life--but this waiting game is beginning to wear on me.

It's quite odd in a way. I leave my computer on until late in the evening, pretty much idle.  Why does Mesh seemingly wait until boot up to perform all this activity?  That it, why didn't Mesh "scan and compare" the contents the night before.  Why on boot up?
    • Edited by ln899 Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:45 PM Clarification
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:42 PM
  • Hi BJReplay and ln899,

If you're still seeing excessive disk activity for no apparent reason, the best next step would be to submit a bug with your logs attached so that we can take a closer look at what's going on.  There are a number of possible explanations, as Steve and Ken have indicated, but it would be helpful for us to see your logs even so.  Instructions for collecting logs and submitting bugs are in an Announcement at the top of the forums.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:32 PM
  • caught this old thread but i am seeing these same symptoms.  i thought the recent updates would have improved MOE's efficiency, but, I also see the constant disk activity on startup.  i'm runing Vista 32-bit.

are others still seeing this performance issue persist even with the recent updates or am i the only person? :-)
    billpk4
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:30 PM
  • caught this old thread but i am seeing these same symptoms.  i thought the recent updates would have improved MOE's efficiency, but, I also see the constant disk activity on startup.  i'm runing Vista 32-bit.

are others still seeing this performance issue persist even with the recent updates or am i the only person? :-)
    billpk4

A bug report with your logs would be excellent, thanks! Instructions on how to file a bug can be found here:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:11 PM
  • You shouldn't use Live Mesh to keep thousands of files in sync. I've made the same experience as you some weeks ago. Simply forget it. It slows down the system.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:38 PM