Ridiculous disk activity RRS feed

• Question

• Ever since upgrading to PP1, my WHS (HP Mediasmart) does a ridiculous amount of disk access.  Before, it would obviously thrash around balancing for a while after copying a lot of data to it.  I've used software RAID on Linux, and it doesn't need to do this, so I'm a little mystified as to why Windows does, but maybe there's something I'm missing.  Anyway, after the balancing was complete, disk activity would go away and everything was fine.

Since installing PP1, every time I start WHS, it hits the disk non-stop for about 2 hours.  I have not copied anything to it in about 2 months (mostly because I got so sick of hearing it that I stopped using it, except to copy stuff off).  WHS console says for this entire time that storage is already balanced.  When I remote desktop in  to look at the task manager, demigrator.exe is using 40-60% of the CPU.  I can't see anything obviously unusual in the Windows event log.  After the ~2 hours, it suddenly stops.  But if I turn the machineoff and then on again, it has to go through another couple of hours of mysterious activity.

I've spent a couple of hours reading through these forums and other places online, and a lot of people have mentioned similar problems with demigrator.exe.  But none of those posts included any kind of solution, except to install PP1, which seems to have been the cause of the problem for me.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 4:58 PM

Answers

• aetherg said:

The machine is about 6 months old.  I haven't messed with the hardware, so it still has the factory-installed 2x500GB disks.  Of the 931.5GB total, 281GB are used.  System uses 21GB, shared folders 130 and duplication another 130.

Reinstalling is my next step if I can't find a solution.  Obviously I'd rather not do that, since it's quite a lot of time and work, between copying everything off it (to multiple PCs, since I don't have 130GB free on a single one), doing the reinstall, and copying everything back...

You can just do a Server Reinstallation (or, as HP calls it, Server Recovery).  It wipes the OS partition, but leaves the rest of the data in tact.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:49 PM

All replies

• aetherg said:

Ever since upgrading to PP1, my WHS (HP Mediasmart) does a ridiculous amount of disk access.  Before, it would obviously thrash around balancing for a while after copying a lot of data to it.  I've used software RAID on Linux, and it doesn't need to do this, so I'm a little mystified as to why Windows does, but maybe there's something I'm missing.  Anyway, after the balancing was complete, disk activity would go away and everything was fine.

Since installing PP1, every time I start WHS, it hits the disk non-stop for about 2 hours.  I have not copied anything to it in about 2 months (mostly because I got so sick of hearing it that I stopped using it, except to copy stuff off).  WHS console says for this entire time that storage is already balanced.  When I remote desktop in  to look at the task manager, demigrator.exe is using 40-60% of the CPU.  I can't see anything obviously unusual in the Windows event log.  After the ~2 hours, it suddenly stops.  But if I turn the machineoff and then on again, it has to go through another couple of hours of mysterious activity.

I've spent a couple of hours reading through these forums and other places online, and a lot of people have mentioned similar problems with demigrator.exe.  But none of those posts included any kind of solution, except to install PP1, which seems to have been the cause of the problem for me.

Mine doesn't do that (although I have OEM, not an HP MSS).  What add-ins do you have installed?  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive?  What are the version numbers of the components on your server (WHS Console, Settings button, Resources tab)?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:21 PM
  • I haven't installed any addins; it's just the vanilla HP preinstall.  After updating to PP1, it asked whether I wanted to install McAffee and PVConnect Media Server, but I didn't need either, so I declined.

Version numbers are:

WHS with Power Pack 1
    WHS Console: 6.0.1800.0
    WHS Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    WHS Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.8
    WHS Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    WHS Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

Chkdsk doesn't find any bad sectors.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:28 PM
  •  Hi,
    It certainly appears that it might be a machine problem. I have two HP servers running here and neither do as yours appears to do, and there is no reason from a software point of view, that it should.

Do you have any extra disks installed and how full are your existing disks? If there is plenty of room, I would be very tempted to do a server re-install, or recovery as I think HP call it.
    First though, it could also be worthwhile checking your files, there are a couple of Add-Ins available from here, that could help.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:38 PM
  • The machine is about 6 months old.  I haven't messed with the hardware, so it still has the factory-installed 2x500GB disks.  Of the 931.5GB total, 281GB are used.  System uses 21GB, shared folders 130 and duplication another 130.

Reinstalling is my next step if I can't find a solution.  Obviously I'd rather not do that, since it's quite a lot of time and work, between copying everything off it (to multiple PCs, since I don't have 130GB free on a single one), doing the reinstall, and copying everything back...
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:47 PM
  • aetherg said:

The machine is about 6 months old.  I haven't messed with the hardware, so it still has the factory-installed 2x500GB disks.  Of the 931.5GB total, 281GB are used.  System uses 21GB, shared folders 130 and duplication another 130.

You can just do a Server Reinstallation (or, as HP calls it, Server Recovery).  It wipes the OS partition, but leaves the rest of the data in tact.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:49 PM
  • Also, it might be worthwhile disabling the Windows Search service on the server to see if that helps.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:55 PM
  • Colin Hodgson said:

Also, it might be worthwhile disabling the Windows Search service on the server to see if that helps.

Colin

I would assume that Windows Search runs through its own service (WindowsSearch.exe in Task Manager), but perhaps it is tied into DE somehow.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:12 PM