HELP! MS Money Keeps Crashings upon Opening RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using MS Money for over 20 years with data going back 1995. I believe I started with the 1999 version that came with a Windows 98 computer I purchased in 1999. Subsequently, I updated with multiple software versions until they Microsoft stopped updating it. I pretty much have all of the financial data for my adult life stored in the program. I'm currently using MS Money Plus Deluxe Sunset (v17.0.120.3817) on a computer running Windows 10. The .mny file is currently showing as 225,544 KB in size while my most recent backup .mbf file is 30,943 KB.

After entering a few transactions I clicked on the Home Button after a few seconds the program completely closed. Now whenever I open the program it shuts down abruptly after I log in once it reaches the Home screen. I revered back to a recent backup copy and I was able to access everything that was loaded up to that point. When I go to add recent transactions, it crashing again once I click on the Home Button and the same situation where I am unable to re-open the program.

Opening the program from the Sample File, I ran the File Repair 3 times. First Level 1 (Quick) ,then Level 2 (Standard), and last Level 1 (Quick) again. The final repair file is 86,916 KB. When I open this final, the same occurs where the program shuts down upon loading the home page.

Do you think I have too much data and the size of the file is too large. I really like having my complete financial history readily available in one place and would hate to no longer be able to use this program. Any solutions out there for my issue? I already tried re-installing the program including replacing the DLL file and fixing the Internet Explorer registry version number.

Friday, January 31, 2020 2:52 AM

Answers

• Open whatever file you can. If your regular file does not open, open  Sample.mny or some other file.

Then go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList

Open the problem file a time two.  Does that file open now?  If so,
    go to Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplaySettings and Remove the
    Investment Performance module.  There has been a problem where a
    lot of investments triggers a crash upon opening where Money opens
    to the "Home Page".

• Marked as answer by Kevin Bucholz Saturday, February 1, 2020 9:26 PM
    Friday, January 31, 2020 4:12 PM

All replies

• Open whatever file you can. If your regular file does not open, open  Sample.mny or some other file.

Then go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList

Open the problem file a time two.  Does that file open now?  If so,
    go to Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplaySettings and Remove the
    Investment Performance module.  There has been a problem where a
    lot of investments triggers a crash upon opening where Money opens
    to the "Home Page".

• Marked as answer by Kevin Bucholz Saturday, February 1, 2020 9:26 PM
    Friday, January 31, 2020 4:12 PM
  • All those file sizes sound incredible to me; my ***.mny is 40,400KB and the associated ***.mbf is 40,403KB (Money 2000 International English on Windows 10 Professional). On my antique system  salv.exe  is a quite separate program and it won't run if the Money file that it is asked to repair is open; I can only repair a file which is closed. Does your Sunset really demand that the file to be repaired is Open?

Do you give your data files unique names so that you can distinguish one from another, and one backup from another backup?  

I suggest you make a copy of your Sample File, then rename the copy as Test.mny, and then open that - try entering transactions in Test.mny.  If that works normally the problem must be with your original data file and not in your Sunset installation on Windows 10. Conversely if Sunset behaves badly when displaying Test.mny then the root of the problem is in your installation of Sunset on Windows 10.  Let us know what you find.

Teabag

Friday, January 31, 2020 4:13 PM
  • All those file sizes sound incredible to me; my ***.mny is 40,400KB and the associated ***.mbf is 40,403KB (Money 2000 International English on Windows 10 Professional). On my antique system  salv.exe  is a quite separate program and it won't run if the Money file that it is asked to repair is open; I can only repair a file which is closed. Does your Sunset really demand that the file to be repaired is Open?

Do you give your data files unique names so that you can distinguish one from another, and one backup from another backup?  

I suggest you make a copy of your Sample File, then rename the copy as Test.mny, and then open that - try entering transactions in Test.mny.  If that works normally the problem must be with your original data file and not in your Sunset installation on Windows 10. Conversely if Sunset behaves badly when displaying Test.mny then the root of the problem is in your installation of Sunset on Windows 10.  Let us know what you find.

Teabag

Starting in 2005, the File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair was added as an alternate way to invoke salv.exe. It actually closes the file for you. This keeps people from having to find salv.exe.

Incidentally, newer versions of salv.exe work across version including your 2000 International English. I don't know if there is any meaningful improvement in those newer versions.

Money Plus will handle multiple backups. It keeps the lastest X backups where X is 4 by default. It can do that for the upon-exit and the scheduled backups. With older versions, you keep the backups with you own methods. It is important to not just have one version of your backups, in case there is a corruption. You would not want to back up the corrupted file over your only good backup.

Friday, January 31, 2020 8:09 PM
  • Thank you Cal!

Your guidance worked and my file is now stable and usable again. Thank goodness.

Saturday, February 1, 2020 12:51 AM
  • Thanks Cal ~ one lives and learns.

Teabag

Saturday, February 1, 2020 10:02 AM