none
cannot install windows home server unepected i/o error RRS feed

• Question

• hi im trying to install whs on a spare computer that cant boot from usb and it boots the cd and says windows is loding files then it says there is an unexpected i/o error

thanks
    Monday, July 20, 2009 2:31 PM

All replies

• Can you tell us more about the computer you're trying to install on?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 20, 2009 4:02 PM
  • ok then well its a dell gx 240 with 160 gb hd and 512 mb ram
    Monday, July 20, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Hmm. I would consider different hardware, to be honest. The Dell Optiplex GX240 was an indifferent performer when new, and while it meets the minimum requirements for Windows Home Server, the tight integration and remote management features are likely to be what's causing your issues.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 5:01 PM
  • ok well it says it could be due to removing hd or bad sdvd drive i dont see what that has to do with it

do u think i cud put the hd in a external enclousure and plug it in to another computer and install like that then put it back in the dell?
    Monday, July 20, 2009 5:09 PM
  • or if not if there is a way posible i really want to get it on this machine
    Monday, July 20, 2009 5:43 PM
  • You can try replacing the DVD drive. I don't know for sure that you'll be able to install afterward, but it's worth a try. As for installing the disk drive in an external enclosure and installing elsewhere, then transferring it back, no, that really won't work the way you probably want it to. When  you install Windows Home Server it will format all drives in the computer you install on. In addition, the installation doesn't let you choose a particular drive to install on. Finally, unless the hardware you install on is pretty much identical to the hardware of your Optiplex, Windows Home Server may not even boot.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 7:27 PM
  • well the pc actually came with a cd drive you see i have 2 dvd drive at home spares and the on when i put it in bios wont detect and then with this drive it detects but gives you this message
    Monday, July 20, 2009 7:36 PM
  • any ideas?
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:08 PM
  • me I'd try another Cd drive if, you havent got one, maybe try to borrow one or something like that, maybe the bios is only to use CD instead of DVD. That might be why you are getting the I/O error, are you able to install another OS without getting the error?
    HMG
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:22 AM
  • If I understand correctly, you aren't able to connect a DVD drive to the computer you want to use for your server because the BIOS won't recognize it? I think you're back to using a different computer, since the Windows Home Server installation media is a DVD, and it can't be split up.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:01 PM
  • I have 3 CDROMS the Connector, Restore and Installation, None of mine are on DVD
    HMG
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Henry, the Windows Home Server installation disc is a DVD. It won't fit on a CD.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:13 PM
  • yes Ken your right, sorry its just that i have dvds and cds ant they are pretty much identical
    HMG
    Friday, July 24, 2009 8:26 AM