Communicator Phone Logs-how can I read the CLG1 file? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two Communicator Phones that I'm running in our test environment, and I can't get them to form a call with each other (the call goes straight to "call ended").  I thought that enabling client logging might help, and I did manage to get the update server running and accepting logs, but when I send the log from the phone to the server, I get a binary file with a clg1 extension.  There doesn't appear to be a reader for this file type in the resource kit or the OCS binaries-is there any way to view the logs that the phone generates? 
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:26 PM

Answers

• I actually found the solution to this eventually-the files are in a winCE log format that requires a tool called readlog.exe to decode to text.  The only way to get this file is to install Windows CE on a dev platform, which installs the executable.  I just pulled this file out and deleted the CE install, so I have a copy handy on my server.  Yes, that's a lot to go through to get one file, but there doesn't seem to be any other way to get it.  Once you have the tool, you can just type "readlog.exe clgfile.clg1 log.txt" to translate. 
    • Marked as answer by Chris Bardon Friday, January 9, 2009 7:53 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2009 7:53 PM

All replies

• This has been requested before in the forum. No answer was found for this.

I think only microsoft has a tool to read these logs (might be Win CE logs)

But if you open them in notepad you are able to read some parts of it (that might be sufficient for troubleshooting)

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:57 PM
  • I actually found the solution to this eventually-the files are in a winCE log format that requires a tool called readlog.exe to decode to text.  The only way to get this file is to install Windows CE on a dev platform, which installs the executable.  I just pulled this file out and deleted the CE install, so I have a copy handy on my server.  Yes, that's a lot to go through to get one file, but there doesn't seem to be any other way to get it.  Once you have the tool, you can just type "readlog.exe clgfile.clg1 log.txt" to translate. 
    • Marked as answer by Chris Bardon Friday, January 9, 2009 7:53 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2009 7:53 PM