none
cant reactivate my winodws vista business RRS feed

• Question

• i bought thia HP pAvilion slim line a few years ago and it came with windows vista business x86 installed. it has been true blue up untill the OEM hard drive failed the other day. bout a new seagate 200Gb HDD and installed the operating system back in it from the original disk. REnetered the original key a got the message that the unit canot be activated and to call microsoft,which of course doesn't work on out of warranty discontinued machines. I bought this unit in 2007 it was less than 2 years old and was an open box deal. the disk and key came with it . nothing has changed ! so what do i have to do to re ACTIVATE THIS NOW?
    • Edited by billhuffsr Wednesday, August 29, 2018 7:46 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2018 7:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Activate Windows Vista over the telephone following these steps:
    1. Click Startthe Start button , and then click Computer.
    2. Click System properties on the toolbar, and then click Click here to activate Windows now in the Windows activation area.

User Access Control permission  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    3. The Windows Activation Wizard starts.
    4. Click Use the automated telephone system in the Windows Activation Wizard.

Carey Frisch

Friday, August 31, 2018 5:36 AM
  • that was the second thing i tried. when it wouldn't activate on line i called the phone activation line. got the same answer in the end too. "this copy of windows can not be activated, for further assistance go to www.support.microsft.com" . The on line activation kept telling me to enter a different key but there is only one key, the one stuck on the side of the computer that came with it with vista business installed when i bought it. then when the on phone kept saing this copy windows can not be activated, i decided not to spend money on another key if there was going to be a problem till i figured out what the problem was to begin with .  bought this machine i 2007, it was 2 years old and the refurbisher(certified microsoft ) installed the OEM system in it and sent me the disc and the key sticker on the machine. i know that it won't run windows 7 , i tried that all ready . and I won't reinstall windows XP media center in it , no support for that now. so if you have any other ideas i'm open to suggestions . Bill Huff Sr.
    Friday, August 31, 2018 9:52 AM
  • To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool

(download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once saved, run the tool.

Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.

To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.x

- in your own thread, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

(for detail, please read the following Ninja Blog post - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/forumninjas/the-good-mga-question-and-how-to-post-it/ )

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Monday, September 10, 2018 8:15 AM