Antivirus Question RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I just looked at the Windows Home Server Edition of Avast and it's quite pricey!  I'm curious if putting an antivirus program on WHS is done by the majority of users?  If yes, what antivirus program do people like best?  I currently have the free version 5 of Avast on  all of my network computers.  Will that work well with whatever antivirus I put on the WHS, or do they have to be matched?  Thanks.
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:03 PM not a development question (From:Windows Home Server Add-Ins and Developer Information)
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 5:58 PM

Answers

• I use Avast! Windows Home Server Edition because I like the central control of AV across all my home computers. F-Secure also has a product, as does Bit Defender if I recall correctly (I think they say their free AV is compatible), and Clamwin as well, I believe. There's also McAfee, but I think their Windows Home Server product is OEM only; I don't believe it's for sale on their web site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Z-Ice Friday, April 2, 2010 2:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by XrayDoc88 Friday, April 2, 2010 5:52 PM
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 8:18 PM

All replies

• This question gets asked on a fairly regular basis. Opinions differ; mine (based on a brief and painful stint as a network security consultant) is that yes, you do, unless you have 100% guaranteed control of everything that ever gets connected to your home network. That level of control is really a pipe dream, of course. What about a friend of your child's, who comes over for a joint homework session some afternoon and brings their laptop? What about an overnight guest who brings their laptop? So instead you protect the computers that you can control.
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:17 PM
  • I'm making a decision on antivirus software right now, too. I was hoping I could use the free Microsoft Security Essentials, but it looks like it's not supported on WHS. So I'm looking at Avast and McAfee -- any thoughts on which of these is best in terms of minimal impact on performance? (I plan to use the WHS to store and stream recorded TV and videos.)
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:26 PM
  • OK, I'm all in favor of installing an antivirus program, but are there any suggestions?  So far, the only program I've found that specifically mentions Windows Home Server is Avast!  And that program specifically states it DOESN'T work for Server 2003.  I haven't found a single program at McAfee that mentions support for WHS.  Antivirus software that's guaranteed or designed to work with WHS seems to be a pretty rare bird.
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 7:04 PM
  • I use Avast! Windows Home Server Edition because I like the central control of AV across all my home computers. F-Secure also has a product, as does Bit Defender if I recall correctly (I think they say their free AV is compatible), and Clamwin as well, I believe. There's also McAfee, but I think their Windows Home Server product is OEM only; I don't believe it's for sale on their web site.

• Proposed as answer by Z-Ice Friday, April 2, 2010 2:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by XrayDoc88 Friday, April 2, 2010 5:52 PM
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 8:18 PM
  • Thanks Ken.  In what way does Avast! control the client installations?  Do the client installations have to be purchased?  I read somewhere that the WHS version was 4.8, however I'm currently using the free v 5 on my clients.  Do you think that's kosher?
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 9:24 PM
  • The latest version of the paid desktop product is capable of communicating with the current Windows Home Server software. I couldn't tell you if the free product is able to do so.
    Friday, April 2, 2010 3:03 AM
  • I use Avast on my home server and it has served me well.  I don't have the desktop versions, only the WHS version so I lose out on monitoring from the add-in, but anti-virus is one of those things I like to install and forget about so that suits me just fine.

There are a few interesting posts about WHSClamAV at the wegotserved.com site:

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/03/21/add-in-update-clamav-0-1-6/

WHSClamAV is a free open source anti-virus add-in for WHS...unfortunately it's still in beta, but...like I said, free.  :)  I haven't read any reviews on it, and I don't know if you'd want to trust the security of your WHS to a beta product, but it is intriguing, and I thought I'd throw it out there.  I know I'm going to look into it further when my current Avast license expires.

Friday, April 2, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Here is a nice solution

an antivirus comparison site:

rebrand.ly/top-antivirus

Monday, June 19, 2017 8:42 AM