none
Synctoy at Shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to set SyncToy to run at shutdown (opportune time to ensure files aren't in use)

I have tried the following:
    1) Used Group Policy to add SyncToyCmd.exe as the script with -R as the parameter
    2) Used Group Policy to add SyncToyCmd.exe -R as the script
    3a) Created a batch file called synctoy.bat with the following as contents: "C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.0\SyncToyCmd.exe" -R
    3b) Used Group Policy to add the newly created synctoy.bat as the script

In all cases, the script did not run, although during the shutdown process it *DID* state that shutdown scripts were running.

Note: synctoy.bat created in step 3a works fine if executed directly therefore it does not appear to be executing as a Shutdown script so I am leaning that way as the problem.

Any suggestions?

Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:37 PM

All replies

• i would troubleshoot the scheduling aspect by first creating a simple

script that just writes a single line of text to a file or something similar and making sure that works, then adding synctoy commands into the script once it is working.

Monday, January 12, 2009 6:36 PM
  • I have had the same problem using approach 3.  I made a short script to copy a folder from one location to the another and that worked just fine when using a shutdown script, but my synctoy script doesn't run.  I am using "C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.0\SyncToyCmd.exe" -R"Sync Work Folder"

Did you get it working?  how so?

thanks.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:24 PM
  • As it turns out, the batch file works as a login/logoff script for me, but not as a startup/shutdown script.  That will suffice I guess, but I would still like to know what needs to be done differently for it to work at startup and shutdown.  I am synchronizing folders between the C drive and an external if that changes anything.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:15 PM
  • As it turns out, the batch file works as a login/logoff script for me, but not as a startup/shutdown script.  That will suffice I guess, but I would still like to know what needs to be done differently for it to work at startup and shutdown.  I am synchronizing folders between the C drive and an external if that changes anything.

After doing some testing with multiple user accounts, I have found that a folder sync setup under one user is not available to be run by another user.  If you log in the to PC as "User1" and setup SyncToy to copy your folders, then log off and login as "User2" and open SyncToy, the folder sync for "User1" does not show up and is therefore not run when "User2" runs the SyncToyCmd.exe -R command.

There needs to be a way to designate a Folder Pair as global for all users so that the -R command can be run no matter what user is logged in.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 8:50 PM