Proper way to setup XBOX 360 to play videos WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• So I rebuilt my Windows Home Server with the 2011 version.  I also have another computer that runs Nero MediaHome for streaming to my various devices in the house.  So I'm reading on WHS 2011 and saying, huh streaming support.  So I do as I think I should.

1. Open Windows Home Server 2011 Dashboard on the server
    2. Click on Server Settings
    3. Click Media
    4. Make sure Media Server is On
    5. Click on Customize and make sure Videos is set to yes.
    6. Apply

I then go to "Server Folders and Hard Drives".  Double click on "Videos".  See my videos.

I then go to my XBOX and go to the videos/movies sure enough there is my WHS named computer with the name I assigned the streaming environment.  Click on the computer and "No Videos Found".  So I go onto the WHS box and enable sharing of videos in my HomeGroup on the network.  Sure enough, the videos now show under my computer name and the name I gave the streaming "share".  Of course now I also have another entry with the server name and my admin username.  Can anyone explain the proper way to stream videos from the WHS 2011 server to my XBOX?  I have to think since it's not mentioned anywhere that HomeGroup is not required, but not sure what to think.  Or perhaps it can't be part of a homegroup or something to work no clue.  Any help would be appreciated as I  would love to eliminate my Nero MediaHome even though it's a good product, consolidation would be preferable.

Thanks.

JR

Edit:  By the way, if I go into Windows Media Center thru my XBOX Extender and select my WHS Videos folder the content shows up.  If I try and view the Movies thru the main Videos page thru the XBOX outside of the MCE piece it sees the server but shows no videos.  Not sure if it's supposed to work that way.  Don't get the homegroup thing because technically the XBOX isn't part of a homegroup.

If I try to view the content thru Windows Media Player there is no content found.

Friday, July 1, 2011 11:28 PM

All replies

• As far as I can tell, you've made everything the proper way.

For some reason, WHS 2011 is not as good as a media provider for the XBOX 360 as the original WHS v.1 was (is).

I've done the same setup as you.
    And watch movies can be like lottery...

At a given time, the whole collection is there, through the XBOX Media Library.
    Next time, the response when accessing is "no videos found".

There are a few threads here and in the Vail part of the forums, do a search and look them up.

This behavoiur have made me seriously consider moving back to WHS v.1.

Try http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/acf30d3b-c3e3-4880-af0e-d2d6c6ab2f53

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...

Saturday, July 2, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  This thing is really funky as you elude to.  I even re-enabled just now the homegroup stuff and my admin account shows up again but says No Videos Found.  My Nero software works good however oddly enough when it's streaming, seems my WHS does it cleaner.  Of course the computer it's on is twice as fast and with raided drives.  Yet the Nero box has 6GB ram compared to my WHS which has 2GB.  Anyway, I digress.  I'm sure I'm going to pull up my Panasonic plasma and it's not going to see anything either.

Here's another oddity.  I can see the videos physically thru XBOX as a media extender in Windows Media Center Extender, and have used "Media Center Master" to pull down thumbnails and the metadata.  It finds the thumbnails off the WHS content, but the metadata with the descriptive info is ignored.

Sometimes I wonder if it's just the lack of documentation on how to do things right that concerns me.  Perhaps however this software is one of those that if you have to ask you are stupid.  Or at least that's what MS assumes.  Software like this I love full documentation as it's one of those that I want to fully be able to see everything I can do and how.

JR

Edit:  For my metadata issue wonder if I need to copy the data to the mediastreamingadmin account's ehome folder.  GUessing that's the account that acts as proxy to display the list of movies but not sure.
    • Proposed as answer by grumpshack Sunday, May 6, 2012 12:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by grumpshack Sunday, May 6, 2012 12:41 PM
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 1:38 PM
  • try changing the video file extentions to .avi that worked for me you will get an error when changing it just ignore and change file extention ....hope that helped.

scott smith

Sunday, May 6, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Changing the video file extention without converting the file is

like changing the package label on a porterhouse steak to read cod fillet.

Monday, May 7, 2012 12:00 PM