Renewing OneCare Live RRS feed

• Question

• My OneCare Live expires soon.  When I click on renew link, I am asked to pay $49.95.  I can get a brand new OneCare Live at Staples for much less money.  Do I have to pay the $49.95, or should I just go to Staples and get a brand new one for $19.95?  Is there a difference?

Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:35 PM

Answers

• You can certainly renew with a retail key from a store bought copy. And, there is no 3 month subscription, so if Staples has a rebate, you are going to get the deal for a 12 month renewal. To renew with a key:

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

You may want to do this long before your current subscription is renewed automatically so that you are not charged on the credit card that is on file. If you are, you can still get that charge reversed by contacting support.

-steve

Friday, April 11, 2008 1:21 AM

All replies

• Should I just go to Staples and get a brand new one for $19.95?  Is there a difference?

The one for $19.95 is only for three months as a trial version.

If you use another credit card and another windows ID user anme you can sign up for 90 days free and save. The pay for the year ,yet you will only get nine months! It still comes out to be $49.95 for a year!

Thursday, April 10, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Actually, the one at Staples is listed as $59.95, but they are running a special with a $40.00 rebate, which will bring it down to $19.95.  It is the same one I originally purchased (which I also purchased for $19.95 good for a year).  What I'm asking is, is there a new version?  For instance, Norton(Symatec), which I used before,  had version 2005, 2006, 2007, etc.  Each version had slightly new features.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:27 PM
  • You can certainly renew with a retail key from a store bought copy. And, there is no 3 month subscription, so if Staples has a rebate, you are going to get the deal for a 12 month renewal. To renew with a key:

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

You may want to do this long before your current subscription is renewed automatically so that you are not charged on the credit card that is on file. If you are, you can still get that charge reversed by contacting support.

-steve

Friday, April 11, 2008 1:21 AM
  • thats not true ... you can buy the live onecare for 19.95 ... and it lasts for one full year ...

Saturday, June 21, 2008 4:03 PM
  •  n8thin wrote:
    thats not true ... you can buy the live onecare for 19.95 ... and it lasts for one full year ...

What's not true?

-steve

Monday, June 23, 2008 2:00 PM
  • I have a OneCare CD I purchased from BestBuy. Can I install without removing trial version?

Monday, June 23, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Don't uninstall the trial and don't even use the OneCare CD from Best Buy. You simply need the retail key on the yellow sticker from inside the case.

Open OneCare, click on Subscribe. Sign in with your LiveID (or create a new one, http://account.live.com) and select the option to activate a subscription with a retail product key/PIN or token.

-steve

Monday, June 23, 2008 6:53 PM
  • But how can i do this, if i'm living not in USA? There is no any other options. Should i simply buy new disk?

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:58 PM
  •  SashaN wrote:

But how can i do this, if i'm living not in USA? There is no any other options. Should i simply buy new disk?

I answered your other post.

-steve

• Proposed as answer by SashaN Saturday, December 20, 2008 7:33 PM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:13 AM
  • I am signed-in on my "Live OneCare at this time to send you this msg. When I follow your directions it sends me back to a login site which won't take my "password", thus dead-end. Why won't the program just ask me what the KEY is when I boot the disk???

Monday, July 7, 2008 4:19 PM
  • My subscription expired 20 Jun 08,or thereabouts. When I try to renew, I am presented  with the details of my account which shows my region as "United States"....I live in Canada. No matter what I do I cannot get it to read Canada and thus am unable to complete the renewalm procedure;  I have checked my region/language settings. Any way this problem can be resolved?

Monday, July 7, 2008 4:51 PM
  •  CFMTRANS wrote:

I am signed-in on my "Live OneCare at this time to send you this msg. When I follow your directions it sends me back to a login site which won't take my "password", thus dead-end. Why won't the program just ask me what the KEY is when I boot the disk???

If you password is longer than 8 characters, change it at http://account.live.com and try again.

If you are still unable to renew at the Billing site, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 1:49 PM
  •  Pronto92 wrote:
    My subscription expired 20 Jun 08,or thereabouts. When I try to renew, I am presented  with the details of my account which shows my region as "United States"....I live in Canada. No matter what I do I cannot get it to read Canada and thus am unable to complete the renewalm procedure;  I have checked my region/language settings. Any way this problem can be resolved?

Open IE and in Tools/Internet Options, verify that your language setting is correct for your country.

If it is not, click "Add" to select your language and country combination from the list.

Make that selection the default. It should appear at the top of the list.

Remove or demote other entries that are not appropriate for your country.

-steve

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 1:50 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:
     Pronto92 wrote:
    My subscription expired 20 Jun 08,or thereabouts. When I try to renew, I am presented  with the details of my account which shows my region as "United States"....I live in Canada. No matter what I do I cannot get it to read Canada and thus am unable to complete the renewalm procedure;  I have checked my region/language settings. Any way this problem can be resolved?

Open IE and in Tools/Internet Options, verify that your language setting is correct for your country.

If it is not, click "Add" to select your language and country combination from the list.

Make that selection the default. It should appear at the top of the list.

Remove or demote other entries that are not appropriate for your country.

-steve

I am aware of this 'fix'; it dosen't change anything. Anyway, I have wasted too much time on this, off to try and delete this thing.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 7:30 PM
  • I am sorry that the IE settings fix does not apply to your renewal case, Pronto92. It would seem that your Billing account is the one that was created as a US address for some reason. Your alternative is quite simple (assuming you have not completely given up and removed OneCare, which I probably don't blame you for doing...), actually. Abandon the current subscription when it expires. Remove OneCare via Control Panel - add/remove. Then install again and subscribe/activate with a different LiveID to create a new Billing account with the correct regional information.

It doesn't explain how your account came to be identified as US, but there have been a few cases of this being reported. I'm wondering if it was a LiveID glitch or if the problem goes back to your Windows regional settings and not the IE language settings which control the form you are presented with for payment information.

-steve

Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:22 AM