trigger a workflow when an email gets tracked RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to trigger a  workflow when an email item gets tracked.

So I've created a custom workflow assembly to do the processing I want, but the workflow won't trigger on email creation. I.e. when I track the email in outlook I am expecting any workflows on the email create event to trigger. But nothing happens. (Is this expected?)

Thursday, March 1, 2012 1:26 AM

Answers

• Phil,

I have checked what happens when an email is promoted. And based on what I have seen the DeliverPromote message is what creates the email record in CRM. The DeliverPromote message it self does trigger the Create message on a child pipeline (the message is not send through the webservice but internally). It would appear that the workflow only triggers on a create message in the parent pipeline.

Based on the this I would say it is not possible to trigger a workflow in this case using the standard configuration. One option you have is to create a plugin that triggers on the DeliverPromote message or the create in the child pipeline. Plugins do support this. From that plugin you can that execute your workflow if you still want to maintain the flexibility of the workflow configuration.

I hope this helps to point you in the right direction.

Patrick Verbeeten
    www.patrickverbeeten.com
    www.wavextend.com

• Marked as answer by Phil98765 Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:18 AM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 10:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Phil,

what is your workflow setting?

Try to use the checking of  Email->Direction equal to incoming.

regards,
    Toong Yang
    http://eastoceantechnical.blogspot.com/

Monday, March 5, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Phil,

I have checked what happens when an email is promoted. And based on what I have seen the DeliverPromote message is what creates the email record in CRM. The DeliverPromote message it self does trigger the Create message on a child pipeline (the message is not send through the webservice but internally). It would appear that the workflow only triggers on a create message in the parent pipeline.

Based on the this I would say it is not possible to trigger a workflow in this case using the standard configuration. One option you have is to create a plugin that triggers on the DeliverPromote message or the create in the child pipeline. Plugins do support this. From that plugin you can that execute your workflow if you still want to maintain the flexibility of the workflow configuration.

I hope this helps to point you in the right direction.

Patrick Verbeeten
    www.patrickverbeeten.com
    www.wavextend.com

• Marked as answer by Phil98765 Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:18 AM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 10:37 AM
  • Thanks I'll have a look at this
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:18 AM