none
Help desk resources RRS feed

• Question

• I am a web developer and now need to do desktop support. Can anyone help me with a desktop support book for windows 7? Or any other learning resources?

Thank you

McC

Friday, September 14, 2012 2:41 PM

Answers

• Here is a link to Amazon for the top selling study guides for Windows 7 desktop support exams.

Please read the honest user reviews on the books to determine which is best:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=desktop+support+exam

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Friday, September 14, 2012 4:44 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi John,

Thanks for posting. Since you weren't very explicit about your new desktop support role, or the type of organization you work in (small office or enterprise), or the network configuration (workgroup or domain), I'll have to make some assumptions in giving my recommendations.

I'm assuming that you're in a small organization with computers in a workgroup configuration, and you'll need to help diagnose and resolve users' computer issues when they arise. I'm also assuming that these books are solely for learning, and not for Microsoft certification.

Therefore I'd recommend the following books from Microsoft Press:

1. Self-Paced Training Kit for Exam 70-685: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

2. Troubleshooting Windows 7 Inside Out: The Ultimate In-Depth Troubleshooting Reference

The 70-680 Training Kit is a textbook with exercises, meant to teach you how to support Windows 7 computers, while the Inside Out book is a compendium of problems and fixes for quick reference. Both books are well written, easy to read, and and should be extremely useful in helping you diagnose and resolve Windows 7 problems while developing your troubleshooting skills.

I hope you find this information useful. I wish you every success in your new support role.

Saturday, September 15, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Hi John,

Windows 7 Inside Out is an excellent book. I have it here on the shelf above my desk. 

It's reasonably in-depth and rather comprehensive, but it's targeted toward the intermediate to advanced user (as it says on the back cover), rather than the beginner. Additionally, it's not focused on desktop support or troubleshooting specifically, although there are chapters on this as well.

It's also written more for home users than for business users, so you won't find anything in it about joining computers to a Microsoft business network (a domain), or troubleshooting any issues related to this.

It's a good general purpose Windows 7 book, and it can teach you a lot, but if your aim is to get up to speed quickly on troubleshooting and supporting computers in a business environment, then I don't think this is the book for you.

However, if you would share more information about your new job responsibilities and your business environment, we should be able to better assist you in finding suitable resources.

Good luck on your new job.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:53 PM
  • Hi John,

Although you're not pursuing a certification, I believe your job role translates broadly to Microsoft's MCITP: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician certification which consists of two exams: (1) Exam 70-680: Configuring Windows 7, and (2) Exam 70-685: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician.

Training for the 70-680 exam teaches the installation, deployment, configuration and management of Windows 7 in an enterprise environment, while training for the 70-685 exam provides the skills to support and troubleshoot desktops in this same environment. Exam 70-685 builds on the knowledge base of exam 70-680.

There is no substitute for quality instructor-led training, but in the absence of such training I'd recommend the training kits for the 70-680 and 70-685 exams, as well as the excellent "Inside Out" book on troubleshooting Windows 7:

1. MCTS 70-680 Cert Guide: Microsoft Windows 7, Configuring

2. Self-Paced Training Kit for Exam 70-685: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

3. Troubleshooting Windows 7 Inside Out: The Ultimate In-Depth Troubleshooting Reference

Finally, I'd recommend the free Professor Messer online video training series for exam 70-680, which covers the subject area completely, and is almost like having an instructor in your home.

I hope this information has been helpful to you, and I wish you success in your new job.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:52 PM

All replies

• Here is a link to Amazon for the top selling study guides for Windows 7 desktop support exams.

Please read the honest user reviews on the books to determine which is best:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=desktop+support+exam

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Friday, September 14, 2012 4:44 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi John,

Thanks for posting. Since you weren't very explicit about your new desktop support role, or the type of organization you work in (small office or enterprise), or the network configuration (workgroup or domain), I'll have to make some assumptions in giving my recommendations.

I'm assuming that you're in a small organization with computers in a workgroup configuration, and you'll need to help diagnose and resolve users' computer issues when they arise. I'm also assuming that these books are solely for learning, and not for Microsoft certification.

1. Self-Paced Training Kit for Exam 70-685: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

2. Troubleshooting Windows 7 Inside Out: The Ultimate In-Depth Troubleshooting Reference

The 70-680 Training Kit is a textbook with exercises, meant to teach you how to support Windows 7 computers, while the Inside Out book is a compendium of problems and fixes for quick reference. Both books are well written, easy to read, and and should be extremely useful in helping you diagnose and resolve Windows 7 problems while developing your troubleshooting skills.

I hope you find this information useful. I wish you every success in your new support role.

Saturday, September 15, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Hi John,

Hi John,

Thanks for posting. Since you weren't very explicit about your new desktop support role, or

the type of organization you work in (small office or enterprise),              Enterprise

or the network configuration (workgroup or domain),                                    Domain

I'll have to make some assumptions in giving my recommendations.

you'll need to help diagnose and resolve users' computer issues when they arise.  Correct

these books are solely for learning, and not for Microsoft certification.                       Correct           

What do you think about Windows 7 Inside Out, Deluxe Edition (Inside Out (Microsoft Hardcover)) ?<//span>

Thanks

McC

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Hi John,

Windows 7 Inside Out is an excellent book. I have it here on the shelf above my desk. 

It's reasonably in-depth and rather comprehensive, but it's targeted toward the intermediate to advanced user (as it says on the back cover), rather than the beginner. Additionally, it's not focused on desktop support or troubleshooting specifically, although there are chapters on this as well.

It's also written more for home users than for business users, so you won't find anything in it about joining computers to a Microsoft business network (a domain), or troubleshooting any issues related to this.

It's a good general purpose Windows 7 book, and it can teach you a lot, but if your aim is to get up to speed quickly on troubleshooting and supporting computers in a business environment, then I don't think this is the book for you.

However, if you would share more information about your new job responsibilities and your business environment, we should be able to better assist you in finding suitable resources.

Good luck on your new job.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:53 PM
  • What i know about the new job is there will be windows 7 desktops and i need to help with any problem ( I have no idea what they would be)

McC

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:22 PM
  • John, I assume the desktops are networked. Do you know if they are in a Windows workgroup or part of a Windows domain?

If they're part of a Windows domain, then there will one or more servers in the network (called domain controllers) running probably Windows Server 2003, 2008 or 2008 R2, which will centrally manage most of the operations of the desktops.

If the desktops are in a workgroup, then there will probably be servers in the network as well, but the servers will likely be used for things like storing files and hosting printers (file and print servers), but will not centrally manage the desktops.

Please find out if the desktops are part of a workgroup or a domain, because the management for each scenario is different, and books like Windows 7 Inside Out will not help you with a domain.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:09 PM
  • James,

The desktops are networked and part of a domain, we have hundreds of servers, many are 2008 R2,but many legacy servers are still 2003

Thanks

McC

• Edited by John Basedow Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:48 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:36 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for the information on the domain. Now we have something to work with. I'll wait for your confirmation of the version of Windows Server you're using.

James

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:48 PM
  • 2008 R2

McC

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Hi John,

Although you're not pursuing a certification, I believe your job role translates broadly to Microsoft's MCITP: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician certification which consists of two exams: (1) Exam 70-680: Configuring Windows 7, and (2) Exam 70-685: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician.

Training for the 70-680 exam teaches the installation, deployment, configuration and management of Windows 7 in an enterprise environment, while training for the 70-685 exam provides the skills to support and troubleshoot desktops in this same environment. Exam 70-685 builds on the knowledge base of exam 70-680.

There is no substitute for quality instructor-led training, but in the absence of such training I'd recommend the training kits for the 70-680 and 70-685 exams, as well as the excellent "Inside Out" book on troubleshooting Windows 7:

1. MCTS 70-680 Cert Guide: Microsoft Windows 7, Configuring

2. Self-Paced Training Kit for Exam 70-685: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

3. Troubleshooting Windows 7 Inside Out: The Ultimate In-Depth Troubleshooting Reference

Finally, I'd recommend the free Professor Messer online video training series for exam 70-680, which covers the subject area completely, and is almost like having an instructor in your home.

I hope this information has been helpful to you, and I wish you success in your new job.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Hi John,

Since you haven't replied to the last post, I assume that you found what you were looking for, either here or elsewhere.

Anyhow, I just want to reiterate that the technical resources I suggested are no substitute for formal, instructor-led training. That training should not only equip you with the technical knowledge necessary to support Windows 7 in an enterprise environment, but should also furnish you with the customer service skills required to support your users effectively.

Finally, I would suggest that you find yourself a good mentor who can help guide you at this transitional stage in your career. This mentor might be an older, more experienced technical person in the organization who is successful in his job, and is willing to take you under his wing and show you the ropes.

Good luck to you!

Monday, September 24, 2012 2:10 PM