Very annoying and such a waste of a day!! RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old Medion PC, recently I got a pop up saying that my windows might not be genuine.

However I knew that it was, so after reading a little about it I rang Medion directly.

They confirmed that I did indeed have a genuine copy of Windows XP home (which was preinstalled on the PC in the factory) and that they have been having a high volume of calls relating to this subject. In fact the comment the young man said was "microsoft really need to get their act sorted out."

As far as I can tell this machine has never been in for repair, so wouldnt have had the accidental reinstall of fishy software as others have had.

I have just spent the best part of a day (started at 1.30pm and still going at 9.25pm and its still downloading service pack  2!!) reinstalling XP from the recovery CD, having to reinstall every single bit of software (which took hours) and downloading all the service packs etc.

This machine just passed your genuine validation (well it said it did anyway) So why did it say it wasnt genuine in the first place???

Also i'm very peeved that I just had to spend most of my day sorting out this problem when I shouldnt have had too (i have genuine software!!).

It seems to me that if your going to release software to help piracy (which  am all for) that it be free from bugs and the such beforehand to avoid all this heartache.

Makes me wonder how many people paid for new XP when they didnt have to!!! Only my bull headedness stopped me doing this and an expensive phone call to Medion.

I think you need to update your site info to warn people that they might in fact have a genuine copy despite what your software says.

I know if it had been some of my mates they would have panicked and bought a new copy, which I wonder was your intent anyway, just to make more cash out of innocent non PC savvy and genuine users of non pirated software??!!

I work for a very large electrical retailer and I will find it hard to recommend PC products under the cuurent climate of what I see as incredible greed.

Ms N Field

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 8:32 PM

Answers

• Knickers,

A computer that originally had a legitmate copy of XP installed, but at a later date had a bogus copy of XP installed, will fail Windows validation and the notifications system will display that to the user.  However, if the user would use the recovery process made available by the manufacturer, they can "get legal" without purchasing anything from MS.

This is probably what happened to your old Medion system.

I happen to agree with your comment that there should be a section in the FAQ that describes the above scenario in detail.  I would put it in this part of the FAQ:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#Question5Label

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:38 PM

All replies

• Knickers,

If you would have run the diagnostic tool before doing the recovery, it would have reported the Product Key and the license type of the then-current installation of XP.

Since we do not have that information, all we can do is speculate.

The good news is that your fresh installation of XP is properly validating and should run a bit better besides.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 8:38 PM
  •  

Hello,

I would have known to run this diagnostics tool because??..........

Sorry but thats just some sort of cop out, I have read the site and not found any mention of a diagnostics tool.

There should be a DONT PANIC section on the validation section of the site, Microsoft are most DEFINITLY aware of this problem Medion have informed them and no doubt countless other PC manufacturers have as well.

They know, that there is XP software running out there that IS genuine, yet their validatiion software is picking it up as pirate copys. They KNOW that NON PC Savvy people will pay for new copys unaware that perhaps their copy is valid, just a little bit of investigation (ringing microsoft or the PC manufacturerer) needs to be done to sort the problem out rather than pay for a new license key or new product.

They know all this yet dont make it obvious to the NON PC savvy, anywhere.

The only reason why I thought to go to all these length's is because I posted on a techy forum.

At the end of the day the only reason why they wouldnt make all this obvious on their site is greed, because they know they can make some money out of this.

I mean sure, by all means protect your product, i'm all for anti piracy products. However not at the expense of the unsuspecting public, a lot fo people trust Microsoft, Microsoft are abusing that trust. The validation tool should be withdrawn until such time that Microsoft can guarantee that these problems are not going to occur. I mean not at anytime could I enter my key to prove a valid copy, not once! yet this key would have shown valid as it would have been listed on their database.

Go browse the web out their mate I'm not the only one whon has either had this problem or not very happy about it. Just because Microsoft have the monopoly here dont mean they should take the mick.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:39 AM
  • Knickers,

A computer that originally had a legitmate copy of XP installed, but at a later date had a bogus copy of XP installed, will fail Windows validation and the notifications system will display that to the user.  However, if the user would use the recovery process made available by the manufacturer, they can "get legal" without purchasing anything from MS.

This is probably what happened to your old Medion system.

I happen to agree with your comment that there should be a section in the FAQ that describes the above scenario in detail.  I would put it in this part of the FAQ:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#Question5Label

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:38 PM