Restoring Win7 32bit backup to a new Win7 64bit OS. Is this possible? Helpful hints? RRS feed

• Question

• Would you please review my questions to MICROSOFT ANSWERS and the responses I received back from them. They don't make any sense to me!

Sakii305:

I'm wondering if I did the right thing. After increasing my memory to 16GB running Win7 32-bit I noticed in my Asus M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard documention the following:  "When you install a total memory of 4GB or more, Windows 32-bit operating system may only recognize less than 3GB. "We recommend a maximum of 3GB system memory if you are using a Windows 32-bit operating system." (( http://www.cizgi.com.tr/resource/vfiles/cizgi/pms_file/34/m4a785tdvevo_en.pdf  )).  I would like install my Win7 64-bit OS and restore my Win7 32-bit backup. Is this possible? If so, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard
    sakii305@hotmail.com

MICROSOFT ANSWERS:

When you say restore your Windows 7 32 bit backup, what do you mean exactly? Please note, when migrating from Windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit, you will have to do a clean install. This means you will need to backup your personal files and settings using Windows Easy Transfer:

Using the Windows 7 64 bit disk, install the Windows 7 Windows Easy Transfer Utility from the DVD (To find it, just navigate to x:\support\migwiz, 'x:' represents the name of your disk drive. In this folder, you will see a collection of files, the important one you need to look for and double click is 'migsetup'.) , run it and create a WET file (Windows Easy Transfer file), if you have an external hard disk, you can have it stored there so you can access it later when you do a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit disk.

Once you have done that, simply do a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit disk. In Windows 7 64 bit disk, launch Windows Easy Transfer, follow the on screen wizard, point to where you stored the the WET file (external hard disk), and it will restore your personal files and settings. Reinstall any necessary applications.

Sakii305:

I do backups on a weekly basis using the Win 7 32 bit backup utility. The backups are stored on an external hard drive.

Ok, I backed up my personal files to my external backup drive E: using the Win 7 32 bit WET file utility. The folder name is Windows Easy Transfer - Items from old computer.

I am unable to access the Win 7 64 bit migsetup file. When I double click on D:\support\migwiz\migwiz.exe I get the following message:
    "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

Where do I go from here....

Thanks - Rich

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Rich

Monday, January 16, 2012 1:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum is to Discuss performance monitor (perfmon), resource monitor (resmon), and task manager, focusing on HOW-TO, Errors/Problems, and usage scenarios. Please first check the FAQ before posting a question. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thank you,
    Bruce Adamczak

Bruce Adamczak Please click "Mark as Answered" if a post solves your problem Please click "Vote As Helpful" if you find the answer helpful

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Hello there,

Thank you for your post!As MSDN and TechNet Forums are for IT professionals to post technical questions such as development, testing, deployment, etc. I would suggest posting your question in one of the forums at Microsoft Answers, which helps people troubleshoot problems about Windows, IE, Office and other Microsoft products.

Located here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7

Larry Yin
    Customer Support

EPX Service Engineering Support Team

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:39 AM