120 day trial version dying before my eyes RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running the 120 day trial for about three months & was expecting to have to buy the full version soon. This evening I spotted that the date on the server was out by one day - so i changed it to the correct date (back one day). an hour or so later i had a pop up from the tray stating that i had 19 days left - i was a little surprised, as i thought i had over a month left. An hour later I got another pop up saying i had 14 days left - i now have 7 days left!!!
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:06 PM

Answers

• Is it possible that you've actually had it running for nearly 4 months, and just lost track? In any case, after some three months you're getting near the end of the eval period.

Because of the way the time bomb is built into the operating system, you can't disable or reset it. If you want to continue using Windows Home Server, you'll need to purchase and install a full licensed copy. There's a FAQ describing the upgrade process. If you've decided to buy, but need a few weeks to actually get the software in hand for installation, you can follow the steps in that FAQ with your current evaluation software, except don't activate it at the end (because your current license key has already been used). That will give you 30 days before you'll have to activate or reinstall again.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Another option is to do a "reinstall" (as opposed to a new installation) of a further Evaluation copy - you will need a new key which you can get by registering for one on Connect or ring the Microsoft activation call center and explain you've had to do a reinstall of WHS (they'll ask you if you have it installed elsewhere which you can advise them is not the case)

Clearly doing this every 4 months is not a great scenario - but if you need to buy yourself sometime to complete your evaluation this is an option that works
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:18 PM
  • Another option is to do a "reinstall" (as opposed to a new installation) of a further Evaluation copy - you will need a new key which you can get by registering for one on Connect or ring the Microsoft activation call center and explain you've had to do a reinstall of WHS (they'll ask you if you have it installed elsewhere which you can advise them is not the case)

Clearly doing this every 4 months is not a great scenario - but if you need to buy yourself sometime to complete your evaluation this is an option that works
    I don't believe MS will activate an eval license a second time.  He would need a new key.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:33 AM

All replies

• Is it possible that you've actually had it running for nearly 4 months, and just lost track? In any case, after some three months you're getting near the end of the eval period.

Because of the way the time bomb is built into the operating system, you can't disable or reset it. If you want to continue using Windows Home Server, you'll need to purchase and install a full licensed copy. There's a FAQ describing the upgrade process. If you've decided to buy, but need a few weeks to actually get the software in hand for installation, you can follow the steps in that FAQ with your current evaluation software, except don't activate it at the end (because your current license key has already been used). That will give you 30 days before you'll have to activate or reinstall again.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:15 PM
  • wow! what an amazingly quick response.

I've been checking the server, and it appears I installed it on the 28/01/09 - it's now telling me i have 6 days left.

thx for the info on the added 30 days - looks like this install is going to die in the next few hours.

Andy
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:37 PM

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:18 PM

I don't believe MS will activate an eval license a second time.  He would need a new key.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:33 AM
  • I don't believe MS will activate an eval license a second time.  He would need a new key.
    Let me assure you, based on firsthand experience, that Microsoft can, and do, issue a new activation for a reinstallation of a 120 day trial version

The questions they ask bvefore doing so do not require the user to perjure themselves when responding

Think about it - no one is really going to repeatedly go through a WHS reinstall to save themselves having to buy a full OEM version for US$88 - are they?
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:25 AM
  • Think about it - no one is really going to repeatedly go through a WHS reinstall to save themselves having to buy a full OEM version for US$88 - are they?
    Every 4 months? Sure, someone will do it (is doing it, I'm certain). It's $100 they can spend on internet pr0n instead. :)

But it won't be common; if it does seem to be getting common, though, Microsoft will simply stop providing new license keys for evaluation software for any reason.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:51 AM