How do I tell which physical drive of 2 external eSATA drives is the one I chose to "remove" from the storage pool? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two 1-TB external eSATA drives connected to my WHS (along with 2 internal drives both of which are smaller and different sizes).  I don't need the extra 1 TB drive - so I want to "REMOVE" it form the storage pool.   My total storage of ALL data on the WHS shows much more than 1TB FREE so shouldn't be an issue to remove the one drive.

However, both drives are the exact same hardware...so WHS reports them the same.  So if I remove one in WHS, how do I know which PHYSICAL device to unplug?  I don't see anywhere to check for any unique identifiers.

Thanks!
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 3:40 PM

Answers

• I thought of that also...but thought I'd ask here first...

So assuming WHS just indicates some sort of warning when you boot up without it...but doesn't do anything that's "permanent" as far as the drive being missing...ie: WHS will "welcme" the drive back again?

Yes.

And for clarification - when I chose to "REMOVE" the drive in WHS...I understand that WHS will move all files off of the drive correct?

Correct.  It moves, it does not copy.

So does it actually delete all files & folders on the drive then?

Yes (except for the top level folders called folders and shares).

Will I need to reformat the drive if I add it back as a backup drive (not in the storage pool)

Thanks!

Although there wouldn't be much left on the drive (the 2 empty folders and perhaps a reg file plus some stuff in System Volume Information), I would still format it.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Puulima Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:25 PM
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:47 PM

All replies

• What I would do is power down the server and unplug one of the drives. Then reboot and see which drive is as "missing" in the storage pool in the Console. Power down again and plug the drive back in and use the Console to remove the drive from the pool. Note: While I've never done this I can't see why it wouldn't work.

fasthair 
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:37 PM

So assuming WHS just indicates some sort of warning when you boot up without it...but doesn't do anything that's "permanent" as far as the drive being missing...ie: WHS will "welcme" the drive back again?

And for clarification - when I chose to "REMOVE" the drive in WHS...I understand that WHS will move all files off of the drive correct?  So does it actually delete all files & folders on the drive then?  Will I need to reformat the drive if I add it back as a backup drive (not in the storage pool)

Thanks!
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:09 PM
  • The one time I had a cable issue that gave me the drive missing warning, once I replaced the cable WHS was happy to see the drive and again and life went on as normal. So yes you will only see a warning in the Server Storage window in the Console.

I can't answer the question about if it just moves or copies the data from the drive when you remove it from the pool. I guess you will have to see. That would be nice to know. I don't THINK it moves the files just copies them.

I can answer the question about adding the drive as a backup drive. When you connect the drive WHS will want to know if you want to add it as apart of the pool or a backup drive. When you choose add as a backup drive it will ask if you want to format the driver or leave it as is.

fasthair
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:35 PM
  • Thanks much.  I'll try it out tonight and post back on how it went.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 10:05 PM

Yes.

And for clarification - when I chose to "REMOVE" the drive in WHS...I understand that WHS will move all files off of the drive correct?

Correct.  It moves, it does not copy.

So does it actually delete all files & folders on the drive then?

Yes (except for the top level folders called folders and shares).

Will I need to reformat the drive if I add it back as a backup drive (not in the storage pool)

Thanks!

Although there wouldn't be much left on the drive (the 2 empty folders and perhaps a reg file plus some stuff in System Volume Information), I would still format it.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Puulima Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:25 PM
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:47 PM