Pointless notifications RRS feed

• Question

• I have OneCare firewall and Windows firewall turned off. Its my choice, I did it deliberately. I have a perfectly good firewall on my router so I see no reason why the five PC's I run on my home network need their own firewall, particularly since my main machine is used for development and every time I run a test build OneCare firewall thinks its a new version...

Since I choose to turn t off, how do I get rid of the frankly annoying reminders that my computer is at risk! Action is needed! No it isn't. Its not at risk. No action is needed. Sure I can turn off notifications altogether, but then what happens in the event a virus creeps onto a system?? Why can't I just tell OneCare that I don't want or need the firewall, so it should shut up, go away and never bother me again about it? Its one of the most annoying features of an otherwise OK product.

Friday, December 28, 2007 10:28 PM

Answers

• Quite simply because it wasn't designed that way. The individual 'mix and match' approach to using OneCare features is not allowed, since the target market is individual home users who need to be aware they've disabled such important protection.

In your case you feel that inbound firewall protection is sufficient, but OneCare is inherently designed to provide outbound protection also, so this is misapplication of the product. It's quite clear after over three years of development and 1 1/2 years on the market that this won't be changing.

OneCareBear

Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:41 PM

All replies

• Quite simply because it wasn't designed that way. The individual 'mix and match' approach to using OneCare features is not allowed, since the target market is individual home users who need to be aware they've disabled such important protection.

In your case you feel that inbound firewall protection is sufficient, but OneCare is inherently designed to provide outbound protection also, so this is misapplication of the product. It's quite clear after over three years of development and 1 1/2 years on the market that this won't be changing.

OneCareBear

Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:41 PM
  • I had a similar problem with notifications at startup and was satisfied by making some changes to the Registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
    "FirstRunDisabled"=dword:00000001
    "AntiVirusDisableNotify"=dword:00000000
    "FirewallDisableNotify"=dword:00000001  /**comment**(normally it is "0")**comment**/
    "UpdatesDisableNotify"=dword:00000000
    "AntiVirusOverride"=dword:00000000
    "FirewallOverride"=dword:00000000

You can either make a *.reg file from the text in the paragraph above (delete the comment); then right-click and merge it (please backup your registry before you do it), or manually edit it (dword=1) if you are competent and familiar with working with the Registry Editor. It will not interfere with the Anti-Virus or Update notifications (something you would want anyway) and will get rid of the annoying notification..

However, I must agree with CareBear that you would be better off allowing OneCare to do its job.

Having both inbound and outbound protection on your firewall is more important than an annoying notification problem.

Best Regards

Saturday, December 29, 2007 7:22 PM
  • Just to clarify, the registry edits you've provided will do the same as going to Windows Security Center from Control Panel and selecting to have it not monitor protection and warn you. Typically, if Windows Security Center is warning that you are not protected, but you are, then there's a problem with the WMI database or your protection is not communicating with Windows Security Center.

The registry edits will not change the warning from OneCare, nor will it change OneCare's status to green if you turn any part of it off.

-steve

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:43 AM
  • I think the problem is that when WOC is installed, it informs Security Center (SC) that it's programs are in-charge of the firewall and anti-virus operations. BUT, during startup, SC loads before WOC and doesn't retain the fact that it has been notified that WOC is in charge and throws-out the false notifications. Then after everything is loaded, WOC is green, and the option to tell SC not to monitor the firewall or antivirus is no longer available to the user. I think Microsoft needs to do something about that. The wonderful support team told me that there was nothing that could be done...so I had to research the problem myself and find a remedy that satisfied me but doesn't defeat WOC. You agree that it will not defeat WOC's functions...so maybe it is the solution for now; until Microsoft can solve the "pointless noticifications" problems.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 5:27 PM
  •  OneCareBear wrote:

Quite simply because it wasn't designed that way. The individual 'mix and match' approach to using OneCare features is not allowed, since the target market is individual home users who need to be aware they've disabled such important protection.

OneCareBear

I know that it wasn't designed that way but I still think that that option should be available to us potential buyer.  I am using the trial and this is the only thing that is keeping me from actually subscribing.

It is unfair for you to be the judge of what is important features. My hardware firewall is sufficient and do not slow down my network transfer and OneCare does (I know because I tested it).From your response it sounds like you are saying "Too bad", Deal with it. That isn't the type of approach that must be taken when you want people to purchase a product.  I know that I am not forced to purchase the software and I will continue to use the software until my trial ends and search elsewhere. I refuse to purchase a product that I am not satisfied with.

Friday, January 4, 2008 1:23 AM
  • EsQueue,

That's exactly what I'm saying, if you want to disable the firewall permanently then OneCare isn't the product for you. If I coddled you and told you it 'might change in the future' I'd be lying, since I in no way believe it will change.

OneCare was designed for a specific segment of the market that doesn't include those who like to heavily customize and 'play with' their protection, they simply want it to protect them. OneCare allows the firewall to be off temporarily, but not long term to avoid the common mistake of forgetting to turn it back on.

No product will please 100% of the potential customers so OneCare doesn't attempt to, it simply provides the easiest to configure complete protection that it can. If that's not what you want you will need to look elsewhere, that's obvious.

Good luck in your search for what you do want.

OneCareBear

Friday, January 4, 2008 5:23 AM