Server Temperature After Turn-Off RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Acer H340, but I imagine this question would apply to any WHS unit. I use WHS only for movies and since I only watch once or twice each week, I turn the server off between viewings. The temperatures on the hard drives gets to about 120-125 Deg F when the unit is running, which is fairly warm. Once I turn the unit off everything stops running, including the cooling fan. Could there be some damaging extra heat buildup once the fan stops? I presume that most people leave their server on 24/7, so it may not be an issue for them.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:17 PM

All replies

• I don't think that this short time will have any remarkable influence on the components. The temperatures given by you sound reasonable for a narrow case, eventual a little bit high given no "green" drives have been used. My drives show around 40°C in a Scaleo 1900 if not under heavy load.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:31 PM
  • Once you turn your server off, no additional heat is generated. All components will cool significantly within a few seconds. Regarding drives running at 51° C, that's almost certainly within manufacturer's specifications, and will not shorten the life of the drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:47 PM