none
The yellow highlight of new replies to a forum doesn't after the update RRS feed

• Question

• Before the last update, you saw new replies in the forum at the top of the screen. This is now gone. You have to reload the forum page to see new replies.

Is this "By-Design" or a bug?

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, February 25, 2011 12:35 AM

Answers

• RSS feeds are current, but it this is really more about having this baked into the forums experience. I'll have to give more thought around how and when we bring this back, I do see the value in it, it will at this point be a matter of priority going forward. Thanks for everyone's help and info around this.

Re: the preview page, there are a few known issues with the preview page. 1. sometimes it doesn't work, specifically for threads being viewed in the wrong brand (we have a bug on this, but no eta). 2. users can still get the 'page only' version of an action (edit, answer, etc). This happens if you edit in preview mode and then click answer (for example). The problem is currently being worked on (finally) and is caused by state management in the client scripts, etc.

Community Forums Program Manager
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:45 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• By Design. Check this thread. Although I also miss this feature.
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Friday, February 25, 2011 1:07 AM
  • Correct, by design. There is always the chance we bring something like this back, but when we do it would be done in such a way we don't sacrifice server throughput, like the previous implementation.  I am a little curious as to how valuable this feature really is though, except for the case where you have a bunch of windows open, leave for a while and then come back. The more active moderators and community contributors etc seem to navigate around a LOT which forces page refreshes as you go.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:06 AM
    Answerer
  • I sometimes leave the T-SQL forum opened and switch to other tasks periodically looking it up if something appeared in yellow. Now I have to manually refresh from time to time and therefore I often miss new threads.
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

My blog
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:21 AM
  • Hello,

i like this option too. My forum pages are open long times and the highlighted ones make it easy to identify new ones without running F5 allways.

So it would be really nice to bring this back.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:27 AM
  • I agree with both. Now I have to press F5 again. It would be nice to have it back in a future update.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, February 25, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Great feedback everyone. I will certainly consider reintroducing this in the future after we resolve some of our back end issues and would plan to put some version of this back in a way that wasn't detrimental to the system, like the previous implementation was. A couple of questions I have about this: 

• How long do you usually leave the forum and then come back where color coding 'posted since' is most relevent? 30 seconds? 2 minutes? 5, 10, 20? The trick to doing this in a way that minimized system impact is to pick that sweet spot for the query frequency and I would like to work back from a large number.
    • This is really two things: 1. Color coding stuff that is new and 2. doinging automatically behind the scenes. Might it be partially valuable to color code items that were new when the F5/refresh happens? As a step towards solving this problem in increments?

Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it.

Friday, February 25, 2011 7:54 PM
    Answerer
  • I'd say automatic refresh with the color every 5 minutes will be nice. What I usually do is check the forum, switch to some task, re-check in couple of minutes (say, 10).

My blog
    Friday, February 25, 2011 10:07 PM
  • I leave the forum several minutes. I open a forum and open a new tab for each topic. After my reply I saw the yellow highlight and read the next topic. It sometimes took 20minutes before I pressed F5. Now I do this more often to see if new posts have been made.

Friday, February 25, 2011 11:56 PM
  • Hello,

if i am done with my first round the forum pages are open and before i checked partly in roundabout 10 minutes or more to see if updates where done.

Until now i press more often F5 then i checked the forum before, so for me it is really more "work".

Just waiting for the refresh and seeing it at least in italic letters is really comfortable. To reduce the load i would say 15 minutes interval is ok, for shorter times i suggest the manual F5 way.

No problem can be so under pressure here that not at least 15 minutes can be waited. If that is the case the foum is definite the wrong place, then Microsoft support should be used instead.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 5:46 AM
  • Brent,

this has been one of my favorite feature of the forum. I usually check for new posts and if i can ( and sometimes if i want to ;-)) i will contribute to the thread. If there aren`t any new threads anymore, i will keep the browser open and go back to work for some time, and then come back to check for some new posts by the meaning of the yellow color.

I would really like this feature to be back. Hitting F5 to refresh the page isn`t that comfortable for me.

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:27 AM
  • @ Brent

How current is the RSS feed?  If that was thought reliable people might be able to use it as an alternative and then they could use whatever update procedure that worked best for them.  I think the notification of change is more important than the presentation of it.

BTW inline posting from the preview page is still not working properly.  This is a retry from a separate thread page.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:06 PM
  • RSS feeds are current, but it this is really more about having this baked into the forums experience. I'll have to give more thought around how and when we bring this back, I do see the value in it, it will at this point be a matter of priority going forward. Thanks for everyone's help and info around this.

Re: the preview page, there are a few known issues with the preview page. 1. sometimes it doesn't work, specifically for threads being viewed in the wrong brand (we have a bug on this, but no eta). 2. users can still get the 'page only' version of an action (edit, answer, etc). This happens if you edit in preview mode and then click answer (for example). The problem is currently being worked on (finally) and is caused by state management in the client scripts, etc.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:45 PM
    Answerer