Can I install english windows with a korean product key? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in Korea and looking to buy a laptop, but every laptop comes with a korean version of windows.  I was wondering if i could use the windows product key bought w/ the laptop to install an english version of windows? (most likely be vista)
    Monday, April 6, 2009 11:15 AM

Answers

• Hello psych0cruncher,

No, the product key is specific to the Version/Language of the OS, so you couldn't change the Laguage version of Vista using the same Product Key.

BUT

If you get a Laptop with Vista Ultimate, you can install as many languages as you want and even switch between them as easily as logging off and back on again. Once you get the Laptop with Vista Ultimate, to get the English Language Pack, click the Start button, type "Windows Update" and hit Enter. When the Windows Update window comes up, click in the "Windows Ultimate Extras" area and look for the English Language Pack.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 8:56 PM

All replies

• Hello psych0cruncher,

No, the product key is specific to the Version/Language of the OS, so you couldn't change the Laguage version of Vista using the same Product Key.

BUT

If you get a Laptop with Vista Ultimate, you can install as many languages as you want and even switch between them as easily as logging off and back on again. Once you get the Laptop with Vista Ultimate, to get the English Language Pack, click the Start button, type "Windows Update" and hit Enter. When the Windows Update window comes up, click in the "Windows Ultimate Extras" area and look for the English Language Pack.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 8:56 PM
  • I have the same situtaion, I bought a Korea version but home premium K. Does it mean that I have to purchase a new version in English?

Saturday, April 23, 2011 6:11 AM
  • As If I need to purc my version is a Korean version, if I need to purchase an english version, can I purchase a upgarde package (window 7english)?

Saturday, April 23, 2011 6:16 AM
  • You will need to purchase a "Full English Version" Windows 7 edition.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 6:29 AM