The ordeal of homeserver 2011 installation RRS feed

• Question

• I bought 2 identical HP Proliant microservers and 2 copies of WHS 2011. Tried to install on the first server and it failed on final installation with error log which was frankly unintelligible. Tried again -  failed at same point. mmmm ... tried it on second server and installation failed again. Tried second WHS disk and guess what installed on both. I guess I can conclude the original disk was faulty. Next step was to configure remote access using the wizard - router configured ok on both machines (now on different networks) but final configuration of remote access failed after recognition of my xxx. homeserver.com domain names with error message "unknown error try again in a few minutes time!" This occured on both machines. Needles to say, since God loves a tryer, ... i found myself trying again and again and again. Eventually for some reason one machine suddenly configured itself despite me changing nothing and I now have remote access. I still have no remote access on the second machine and am up to try number 26 and no, my password does not contain any "special characters". This is turning into such an ordeal that i am now questioning how wise it has been for me to go the 2011 route. Anybody else come across a similar ordeal and has anybody got any idea why i this remote access error keeps occurring?

Thanks for listening - I am just on my way for counselling.

Monday, August 8, 2011 9:17 PM

Answers

• Many thanks for the helpful suggestions.

I know that it was actually connecting to the homeserver.com server because it configured my domain name ok so really baffled as to why it keeps failing at the last hurdle. Have spent the last couple of days trying but still no luck until just now! The problem was the internet time synchro was not connecting to the windows sychro server. Changed it to another option time.nist.gov and the wizard worked first time.

This is def worth checking if you have this problem.

• Marked as answer by vandieman Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:35 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:35 PM

All replies

• Depending on the make and model of your router, the remote access wizard may fail UPnP setup (as it does on mine).  However, it is easy enough to configure the router manually.  See this link:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/windows-home-server-router-setup.aspx

I've used remote access successfully in both WHS 1.0 and WHS 2011, and the new remote access and media streaming features are vastly superior. I hope you get it working.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:04 AM
  • I had the same mistake and didn't find the reason. After 5-6 hrs of configuring the remote access i gave up in the late nite.

Next day the first access worked orderly. the reason: propably a very slow dns service at microsoft.com.

keep your configuration and try access later (much later).

regards

stefan

Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Many thanks for the helpful suggestions.

I know that it was actually connecting to the homeserver.com server because it configured my domain name ok so really baffled as to why it keeps failing at the last hurdle. Have spent the last couple of days trying but still no luck until just now! The problem was the internet time synchro was not connecting to the windows sychro server. Changed it to another option time.nist.gov and the wizard worked first time.

This is def worth checking if you have this problem.

• Marked as answer by vandieman Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:35 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:35 PM