Windows Live One Care Backup stops at 1% and does not progress RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I start Windows Live One Care Backup process to an external USB hard disk with plenty of free space, the process starts OK and when it is backing up files and says "One Care is backing up your files to your current backup location: WD external hard drive (drive E:) Please wait while backup copies your files to your external hard drive." progress shows 1% and virtually stops, I do "cancel" and asks me fo confirmation to cancel I do "yes" but goes to the previous screen and does not progress nor cancel so I need to kill one care.
    Any suggestions?
    Regards,

Martin
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please contact support for help with this problem:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Hi, try this step, its complicated... just give it a try.

Please follow the steps precisely to resolve this issue:

A. Check if Acronis is installed in the system, please follow these steps below:

1. Open Add or Remove Programs and uninstall Acronis from here. If you can’t find it on Add or Remove Programs list use Windows Installer Cleanup tool and locate it from there.
    2. Boot the system to safemode.
    3. Open device manager and remove Acronis Image Archive Explorer from the device list, reboot system normally after.
    4. Open Services.msc find and disable Acronis Scheduler service.
    5. Open a command prompt window and type in:
      1. "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" without the quotation, hit enter.
      2. "start devmgmt.msc" without the quotation, hit enter (Do not close the command prompt window after the Device Manager Window appears).
    6. On Device Manager under the "View" option choose "Show Hidden Devices".
    7. Under Volume Shadow Copy and Storage Volumes delete all generic volume devices. (If one of the devices asks for a restart choose to restart later or click NO and then continue to delete all other remaing generic volume devices).
    8. Reboot the computer.
    9. Wait until Windows installs new hardware devices after its done it will prompt you to restart the system, choose Yes to reboot.
    10. Start a complete backup
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:30 PM