Alternatives to Money??? RRS feed

• Question

• Money is the best personal finance program out there. Why Microsoft dropped this package is beyond me. I have tried Quicken twice and have stayed with Money. I am concerned we are getting close to the bitter end.....so if anyone has any suggestions on alternatives to Money, I would appreciate hearing them..

Thanks

Saturday, December 27, 2014 1:17 PM

All replies

• What country? If the US, you could consider Microsoft Money Deluxe Sunset, and then apply the patch. See the first two posts on this forum.

What does Money do for you? What I do with it will differ from what you do with it. For example, I don't use budgeting and bills. Do you want to keep your finances on your own computer, or would you like your finances in the cloud?

Moneydance, Ace Money, Gnucash, KMyMoney? What bothered you about Quicken?

I felt dense when I tried to figure out how to use Gnucash.

Saturday, December 27, 2014 1:41 PM
  • Yes, using US MS Money Deluxe Sunset.

- I do not like cloud computing, so I keep everything on my computer for security and efficiency.

- I also do not use budgeting and bills.

- No online access to banks, brokerages.

I use MS Money for checkbook and money market fund and brokerage management. That's it.

Money is the best program out there and I hate to find another. I looked at Quicken several years ago so I do not recall exact reasons, but I decided not to go with it. Money is superior.

Saturday, December 27, 2014 1:57 PM
  • Microsoft could charge $ for Money .
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 2:33 PM
  • I would have been glad to pay whatever they wanted.

I have been spending a fortune and devoting almost all my time trying to get something similar.

There doesn't seem to be anyting

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:15 PM
  • If you are in the US, what does Microsoft Money Deluxe Sunset not do that you want?

Are you familiar with MSMoneyQuotes? Are you familiar with PocketSense?

What does Quicken not do that you are looking for?

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:25 PM
  • If you are in the US, what does Microsoft Money Deluxe Sunset not do that you want?

Provide for its future.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:23 PM
  • It's true that Money no longer supported by Microsoft, but it runs fine on Windows 8 which is supported through January 10, 2023.  See:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

and it may well run on the upcoming Windows 10.  It's a standalone program with active support from user on this forum, so you have 8 years to find an alternative.  What's not to like?

Bill Becker

Thursday, January 8, 2015 1:46 AM
  • As the OP had no online requirements, even if Money stopped working in a later Windows

you could run it in a virtual machine (with no network access).

By way of an example, I currently have a ThinkPad with fairly up to date hardware such

as SATA SSD etc using VirtualBox on Linux to run Windows NT 4 WorkStation (circa 1997) and

Office 97. The Operating System and applications think they're executing on a single

Intel CPU with IDE disks and 512MB of RAM. 

It's only a test system primarily for Linux and VirtualBox but illustrates how you can run old

software on modern hardware.

• Edited by AshleyST Thursday, January 8, 2015 8:28 AM Improve clarity
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 8:26 AM
  • I'm finally - after a lot of false starts - moving to Moneydance this year.

The big selling point for me is that it is multi-platform and open source - so there is little chance of it becoming obsolete or orphaned.

It is a big task to move all my data over and I will be losing a lot of valued functionality compared to MS Money. However, it also adds lots of other functionality that MSMoney no longer has (particularly cloud sync with mobile devices) and full quote functionality from both Morningstar and Yahoo.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 8:53 AM
  • I've looked at MoneyDance, KMyMoney and GNUcash. 

However, none of them match MS Money for my requirements and in the case of GNUcash

it was too complicated to setup/use. 

Thankfully I don't need cloud syncing and I do all my price updates once a week by hand,

although the initial price extraction is done by Excel.

Furthermore, the man-effort in converting the data (including transaction history etc.)

was just too great.

As previously indicated, should I wish to run MS Money in perpetuity should it not run on

a later version of Windows, then I will do that in a virtual machine.

Good luck with your migration to MoneyDance.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 1:11 PM