Unable to access Shared Folders RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to access my shared folders on my server without a password.  When I click on the desktop icon or browse to \\server, I am prompted for a username and password. 

I do have the same username and password on both the WHS and the local machine.  I have tried all of the obvious steps such as changing the password on my computer and the server, then changing it back.  Deleting/recreating the user account on the WHS.  I have even tried reinstalling the connector software both from the software folder on the server and the disc.  I have also tried multiple reboots of both the server and the local machine.  Nothing I do will allow my credentials to pass from the local machine to the server to allow me to access my shared folders without the password prompt.  Any insight?
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:58 AM

Answers

• As it turns out, by some fluke, it is working again.  Figured it may be something with my local profile because my email accounts in Outlook were all prompting me for my password as they were no longer stored.  I tried to do a system restore back to when it was working, but the system restore failed.  After logging in again, I can now access my shared folders on the server.  Strange.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:08 PM

All replies

•  BlingBling1384 wrote:
    I am unable to access my shared folders on my server without a password.  When I click on the desktop icon or browse to \\server, I am prompted for a username and password. 

I do have the same username and password on both the WHS and the local machine.  I have tried all of the obvious steps such as changing the password on my computer and the server, then changing it back.  Deleting/recreating the user account on the WHS.  I have even tried reinstalling the connector software both from the software folder on the server and the disc.  I have also tried multiple reboots of both the server and the local machine.  Nothing I do will allow my credentials to pass from the local machine to the server to allow me to access my shared folders without the password prompt.  Any insight?

Did you at any point in time ever rename the user account stored on your client PC (for example, you bought it and it had a generic name of User, then you changed it later to your name)?  If so, that may cause your problem.  Check this thread for details...

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:30 AM
  • To answer your question, no I did not.

Also, let me further clarify.  Everything was working fine last week.  This past weekend I was doing some maintenance on my server, and things went awry.  I had to reinstall WHS to get everything working again.  Since then, I have not been able to get my Shared Folders working as they should.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:20 PM
  • As it turns out, by some fluke, it is working again.  Figured it may be something with my local profile because my email accounts in Outlook were all prompting me for my password as they were no longer stored.  I tried to do a system restore back to when it was working, but the system restore failed.  After logging in again, I can now access my shared folders on the server.  Strange.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:08 PM