none
WHS Disk Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• I am planning to purchase 2 x 500GB drive to add to my existing 60GB drive in the machine I plan to use for a WHS. I am a little confused about the best configuration.

I know I can't use my 60GB for the primary disk as it is too slow. But now I am hearing that using a disk as big as 500GB as a primary might not be the best choice.

Can you give any advice on what would be the best configuration? Should I buy the 2 x 500GB as well as a smaller (120GB?) drive to use for the primary.

Monday, January 7, 2008 6:04 PM

All replies

• Microsoft's recommendation is to use the largest disk you have available at the time you build your server as the system disk. So you should use one of your 500 GB disks.
    Monday, January 7, 2008 7:27 PM
  • I keep reading that WHS moves stuff from the primary drive as quickly as possible. I assume when the other disks fill up that it will start to fill the primary disk. I also want to make sure that it will use the primary disk for redundancy.

Also in my previous post I meant my 60GB was too small not too slow...

Monday, January 7, 2008 7:37 PM
  • 500gb is a good size for the primary drive.  If you only have 2 drives then the 2nd drive is only used for duplication i believe. And all data is stored on the primary until close to full. If you have 3 drives i believe nothing is permintly on the main drive all off loaded to the other drives during "balancing".

Monday, January 7, 2008 9:34 PM
  • Actually I guess I was not thinking about the full situation when I wrote this. In addition to the 3 internal drives (500GB x 2 and the 60GB) I will have 4 external USB2 drives 3 x 500GB + 1 x 250GB.

Not sure if any of that makes any difference.

But what I am hearing is that it is fine to use one of the internal 500GB drives as the primary (do I need to partition or anything?) and then WHS will figure out the best way to spread around my data among other drives.

Monday, January 7, 2008 9:39 PM
  •  u2jrmw wrote:

I am planning to purchase 2 x 500GB drive to add to my existing 60GB drive in the machine I plan to use for a WHS. I am a little confused about the best configuration.

I know I can't use my 60GB for the primary disk as it is too slow. [....

Please do _not_ use the 60GB disk as your primary disk. Beeing slow or not is not of any importence here. WHS uses the primary drive as a landing zone when copying data to the storage pool. As the primary drive will be split into two storage partitions. One of them will have the OS (20GB) so this would leave WHS with only 40Gb of storage for copying data. This is just not enough and will definitely hamper WHS operations later on.

Best to use one of your 500GB drives as your primary disk when installing WHS (at this stage do not yet connect any of the other drives. This way you are sure WHS will use this drive as primairy storage). In case the two 500GB drives are not identical, use the fasted one.

Then from WHS add your second 500Gb disks to the storage. When duplicating files WHS will use the additional 500GB drive for duplication. Thus in case one of these disks would fail you can replace it without losing any of the files stored in WHS shares that have duplication enabled.

Optionally you can also add your 60G drive to the WHS storage pool. But as its storage capacity is only a fraction of the total storage pool is is not really of much use there. Personally I would choose the use this drive (maybe in a cheep external USB casing) for additional savety backups of important data that is to be keept outside my home. 

Monday, January 7, 2008 9:46 PM
  •  

Thanks for the information, I meant too small not too slow. I guess WHS won't even let me install it on a drive that small.
    Monday, January 7, 2008 10:17 PM