Validation Product Key Invalid ~ Please help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I really dont know where to turn with this problem, Ive spend the best part of three hours this evening trying to sort this issue out with Microsoft csr's and The Tech Guys (Tech Supp).

I have an emachines 420 (5 yrs old),I had the motherboard replaced just before christmas (to an asrock). On friday I was hit severly with trojans and antivirus 2008. I had to reformat my hard drive using the discs that I was given when my motherboard was replaced.

After reformatting my pc I entered the product key into the validation wizard, in which that stated that the key was invalid (has worked before as I have had my pc for five yrs) & its certified on the back of my pc. I telephoned the number that the wizard give me and gave the advisers the digit code that was generated. They have referred me to my vendor, and put me through to technical support and told me to speak with my vendor as its a problem at my end.

I have spoken to my vendor, they advise me that I need the code reactivating by microsoft and that my windows is geniune (I wouldnt mind but I have reformatted my pc twice in the last 48 hours at their advice).

I see many of you have expeirence simualaritys with emachines and validation after reformatting, question is how did you get it sorted? 

I have ran the diagnostic, here is the report

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-J8BM6-MXPH6-3R2BW
    Windows Product Key Hash: YMRVitCEjlJfwDQfjDvm97FbWA4=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00103
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {32331FC3-5ED8-4B03-9E11-4DE7C44925D3}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-199-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Where do I go from Here?

Sunday, August 17, 2008 6:37 PM

Answers

•   

You need to purchase a new copy of Windows XP and perform a "repair install". The eMachine OEM Windows XP license that originally came with eMachine PC is no longer valid with a non-eMachine motherboard. Many major PC manufacturers use "System Locked Pre-installation," or SLP. eMachine uses this same technology. SLP uses information stored in an OEM PC's BIOS to protect the installation from casual piracy. When installing a eMachine OEM version of Windows XP, the eMachine CD compares the PC's BIOS to the SLP information. If it matches, Product Activation will succeed. If it does not match, Product Activation will fail. Using a new Product Key will also fail because the emachine BIOS does not exist with a non-eMachine motherboard.

Direct quote from Microsoft OEM licensing:

Q. If my customer asks me to upgrade his PC with new hardware components, when does a new operating system need to be acquired? When would the PC be considered to be "new"?

A. Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your customer's computer and the end user customer may maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer.

From the OEM Windows XP EULA:

"The SOFTWARE is licensed with the COMPUTER as a single integrated product and may only be used with the COMPUTER. If the SOFTWARE is not accompanied by HARDWARE, you may not use the SOFTWARE." Thus, by installing a non-eMachine motherboard, the original "hardware" (the motherboard) no longer exists and the original eMachine OEM Windows XP license becomes invalid.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, August 18, 2008 8:35 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2008 2:16 AM