Move Office 2007 from one device to another RRS feed

• Question

• My wife's employer has a program where you can buy a copy of Office 2007 for home use directly from MSFT for around $25.  We did that a few months ago and installed it on my son's computer so he could do schoolwork.  I would like to move it from his computer to my computer.  If I uninstall it from his computer, will the GA be notified so I can immediately install it on my computer?  I have also purchased a 3 license pack of Office Home and Student.  I would like to install that on my son's computer and a home laptop.  Any advice for cleaning up his computer before I try that?  Thanks.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 4:58 PM

Answers

• Hi goodideadave,

WGA does not keep track of specific copies of Office or Windows as far as what individual computers they are installed on. When Validating, WGA checks the Office or Windows and confirms it's Genuine (Meaning the Product Key is Valid, Not Blocked due to being leaked, the software hasn't be modified in a detectable way and so on).

As far as moving Office or Windows from one computer to another, the only thing you really need to worry about is if the software is Licensed to be moved, which WGA does not monitor.  Product Activation does monitor this to a small degree, but in the worst case (where the software has been Activated a bunch of times on different computers), Product Activation may require you to Activate by Phone (instead of over the internet) so you can talk to a Activation Rep. The Rep would ask a few questions to confirm the software is being used within the Licensing terms then grant the Activation (shouldn't take more the about 5min).  In your case, just move the software (if the Licensing Terms allow), Activate it over the Internet and your done.

Hope that answered your question,
    Darin MS
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:55 PM

All replies

• Hello goodideadave,

In order to make the determination of whether you can move the Home Use license from one computer to another, you'll need to check two things, the Software Licensing Terms (SLT) of the installed software package (Office 2007 Ent) and the Home Use Software Licensing Terms.

To read the Home Use SLT, see:  http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/terms.aspx

To read the installed software's SLT, open up an Office application such as Word.  Follw this clickpath:  Office button>Word Options button>Resources>About button>click the link "View the Microsoft Software License Terrms".

It is always a good idea to uninstall any installation of Office, then restart the computer twice, before installing any other edition or version of Office.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, August 28, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Thanks, Dan.  As far as whether it's legal, I didn't see anything in the home use SLT about moving from one device to another.  I will check the installed software's SLT when I get home.  But what about my original question, will the genuine advantage system be notified when I uninstall Office?  Goodness knows they were johnny on the spot when I first installed it.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Hi goodideadave,

WGA does not keep track of specific copies of Office or Windows as far as what individual computers they are installed on. When Validating, WGA checks the Office or Windows and confirms it's Genuine (Meaning the Product Key is Valid, Not Blocked due to being leaked, the software hasn't be modified in a detectable way and so on).

As far as moving Office or Windows from one computer to another, the only thing you really need to worry about is if the software is Licensed to be moved, which WGA does not monitor.  Product Activation does monitor this to a small degree, but in the worst case (where the software has been Activated a bunch of times on different computers), Product Activation may require you to Activate by Phone (instead of over the internet) so you can talk to a Activation Rep. The Rep would ask a few questions to confirm the software is being used within the Licensing terms then grant the Activation (shouldn't take more the about 5min).  In your case, just move the software (if the Licensing Terms allow), Activate it over the Internet and your done.

Hope that answered your question,
    Darin MS
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:55 PM
  • That's pretty much how it worked.  I entered the 375 digit license key (OK, it may have been shorter) and it told me to call and talk to an activation rep.  I had to enter a 953 digit activation number (no kidding, I think it was at least that long) that the rep read to me over the phone, and then I was activated.  Didn't take long at all, and I called at night California time.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:53 PM
  • Hello goodideadave,

Thanks for keeping us updated!

(And those numbers are long, but there is a reason....when MS was developing Product Activation for Office and Windows, they first tried using an alphanumeric challenge-and-response system for telephonic activation.  Taking into acount that Microsoft products are sold world-wide and in many different languages to people speaking even more languages, their researchers found out that even though using numbers-only for telephonic activation caused the quantity of challenge-and-response characters to increase, numbers were much more universal among the many spoken languages than were letters, and numbers were more easily communicated by the participants, resulting in quicker overall activation times due to less of a need to repeat misunderstood letters.)
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:27 PM