Access to CRM database to extract for BI RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have worked with Dynamics CRM for quite a few years, and my understanding is that access to the data is restricted to using the filtered views, by the license agreement.

My question is what is the position, from a license perspective. Can we extract data from the database tables themselves, or should we always use the filtered views?

I have noted that some developers are adding objects to the CRM database for reporting purposes, stored procedures, views and functions etc. My understanding is that changing the database in anyway is a breech of the license agreement, so another question is where do we stand on this point as well? Are some people just ignoring the license?

I have done searches on the internet to try to find the licensing agreement, but can't seem to find it

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards

Andy May

CRM 4, SQL Server and .Net developer using C#

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:03 PM

All replies

• Andy,

Your data is your responsibility. You can extract data from CRM tables (you're not updating or inserting data, right?) freely. No one will know that you extracted data from CRM using tables and not filtered view (btw you can try to use usual views instead of filters - almost the same by speed as reading of data from Base and ExtensionBase tables joined but easier for operating). It's not recommended to change SQL schema because this potentially can bring issues with installation of updates, migration to upper versions - e.t.c.

Dynamics CRM MVP
    Read My blog
    Subscribe for one of my courses

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 9:02 PM
  • Hi Andrii

Thank you for your response, I am aware that no-one knows if you access the data via any other method than the filtered views, but my point was about what the license agreement says.

Extracting data from the base tables, or the entity views is much quicker as you say, but you do need to be a little bit careful with dates as they are in UTC no local datetime

Regards

Andy

CRM 4, SQL Server and .Net developer using C#

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:12 PM
  • Andy

I've never heard of any licensing restriction on accessing data directly from SQL Server tables. It is not a supported option but I don't see how it could ever be an unlicensed option. The licensing of CRM is covered by the volume licensing agreement which you can find at the Microsoft Volume License site.

If you mean can you access data directly from the SQL tables without having to buy a CRM license then I would say yes because you only need to buy CRM Cals to use CRM functionality.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 9:07 PM