Using Home Server to get remote access - run app on remote computer without taking over desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Currently I run a database app that runs on a designated seperate computer in my workgroup. Under Vista I could RRAS connect to database.  Windows 7 killed that.
    Now I have Home Server and can run app remotely by taking over desktop limit 1 remote user at a time.  How can I allow users to access it remotely with no desk top take over.  Is it router settings, firewall (which one Home Server, client, host etc.) or ? Thanks David
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:44 AM

All replies

How can I allow users to access it remotely with no desk top take over.
    You can't. Windows Home Server uses Terminal Services/Remote Desktop for it's remote access functionality.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:22 PM
  • I don' t know if this addresses your issue directly, but RDP hacks exist to permit multiple concurrent user connections to a workstation. They work (I have personal experience) but almost certainly violate the Win7 license agreement. Being a non-licensed use and potentially damaging, I will not post links here.

My use of the hack is to permit remote management of my kids' computers through WHS, without them having to log off. It works well for that purpose. Other uses may corrupt something.

Versions exist for XP, Vista, and Win7. They're installed on the client and have nothing to do with WHS, per se.

Chris
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:47 PM