How Do I Undelete a Computer from Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I just accidently deleted a computer from my Windows Home Server which deleted all of the backups.  I need to get them back.  How do I do that? HELP!
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:38 PM

Answers

• To the best of my knowledge, once you have removed the computer from the system backups are permanently deleted. It will not help if you are needing to do a restore but now you have the connector re-installed just do another backup of the machines.

Dave

• Marked as answer by jpickerill Sunday, September 12, 2010 10:08 PM
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:41 PM

All replies

•  
    "jpickerill" wrote in message
    news:44ddc52f-5d05-479a-a05c-7259a0d154aa@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > I just accidently deleted a computer from my Windows Home Server which
    > deleted all of the backups.  I need to get them back.  How do I do that?
    > HELP!
    >
    >
    You may need to reinstall the Connector, since you deleted the computer.
    Just follow the steps you took to install the Connector in the first place
    and you'll be told you need to uninstall the current Connector.

I usually go into the Control Panel and uninstall the Connector before
    trying to reinstall it. Seems easier to me to do it that way.
    --
    Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Thanks Nancy,

That put the computer back on the WHS console, but all of the back-ups are gone.  How do I get them back?

Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:07 PM
  • To the best of my knowledge, once you have removed the computer from the system backups are permanently deleted. It will not help if you are needing to do a restore but now you have the connector re-installed just do another backup of the machines.

Dave

• Marked as answer by jpickerill Sunday, September 12, 2010 10:08 PM
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:41 PM
  •  
    "jpickerill" wrote in message
    news:e0768896-2486-49ba-aff2-527fb8e9e2e5@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > Thanks Nancy,
    >
    > That put the computer back on the WHS console, but all of the back-ups are
    > gone.  How do I get them back?
    >
    I have no idea. And it seems Dave's answer won't be to your liking either.
    :(

The one bright side is that this is beta, and once you do a new backup,
    everything should be backed up. I'm assuming everything you had in your
    shared folders is still intact?
    --
    Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 11:35 PM
  • If the weekly database maintenance window (Sunday 1:00 AM, IIRC) hasn't been crossed, the backups for the deleted computer are probably still accessible. In that case, you could restore the data to an empty drive using the Restore CD. Or, if you're familiar with virtualization tools, you could mount the Restore CD in a VM and restore to a virtual drive. In teh latter case, Windows 7 can mount the .vhd file as an actual drive, so you could get the data back.

If the weekly database maintenance window has been crossed, the backups are irretrievable as others have said. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 13, 2010 1:10 PM
  • Hey Ken. I came across your post as I inadvertently deleted a previous backup of my home PC last night. It was late and I just wasn't thinking.

I had performed auto backups of my home PC while on vista, but decided 3 weeks ago to upgrade to Win7 x64. When I looked into the backups, I saw it has already backed up my Win7 client but I forgot to restore my data from the Vista backup before deleting it. As soon as I said "yes to the "are you sure, I went uh oh!". I did actually copy over the most important files to a USB HD before the migration, but now I need to restrieve some additional files from the deleted Vista backup set.

I am confused by your comment: "the backups for the deleted computer are probably still accessible". I was assuming that the backup was stored as a .vhd file, but in reading the MS tech brief on backup, it appears that it's all one big bunch of 4K clusters.

Without performing a complete restore of my home PC (which I don't want to do since it's now win7), how can I simply recover the vista backup image so that I can pull out individual files. Is this possible?

Alternatively, is there a system restore on the home server to take me back 18-24hrs that would include the system backup I am looking for?

Any light you could shed on my problem would be greatly appreciated. My next trick would be to use some undelete s/w to see if individual deleted files are even accessible.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:33 PM