none
Failed to set access for the shared folder HRESULT: 0xFFFFFFFF RRS feed

• Question

• Recently Home Server won't let me, from the Server Console, Shared Folder tab, change user access for a shared folder, giving the message

"Failed to set access for the shared folder Family Photos HRESULT: 0xFFFFFFFF"

The folder is a shared folder I have created, when I try a similar operation for a built in personal folder it appears to work correctly.

When I try the same operation on the User Accounts tab, properties for a person, under user access I get the message "Cannot save changes for the person Fred"

Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.

Saturday, April 3, 2010 9:16 PM

All replies

• Have you made changes to permissions on that folder or anything in it using any tool other than the Windows Home Server console?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Also did you create the folder and user using the Windows Home Server Console?
    --
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Looking at you answers I would like to reply as I have the same problems: 

- changing properties of a folder give the above eror code

- changing properties of a user gives "Cannot save changes for the person..."

(you replied: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whssoftware/thread/e73fa39c-4ec7-4fe9-907d-f8299ecb987d)

I did not do anything outside the console and I rebooted the server but nothing helped.

Hope you can ?!

br Diederik Klaassen (NL)

Monday, June 7, 2010 12:40 PM
  • I have the same problems.  Anyone have a solution?
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Oh boy, I've had the same problem since getting a new WHS a few weeks ago. Hard to believe there's no solution for such a basic failure. What's the point of having a server like this if you can't control permissions reliably? To be honest I bought a WHS box because I hoped 'it would just work' in my windows home environment. Some things are quite brilliant but then you have these gaping holes that are just astonishing. This product has been out for so many years you'd think the bugs would be ironed out. Bummer.
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 4:13 PM
  • How are you creating your folders and setting permissions?  You should only be making these settings from the Windows Home Server Console.  
    -- Free AV for WHS : http://whsclamav.sourceforge.net/
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:31 PM
  • Using the WHS console. I'm pretty sure it's the only way to get that specific error as it's thrown up in a popup. I resolved it (just now) by creating a new folder and setting permissions correctly at that time. I then moved files from the old to the new using RD (until WHS supports fast-copy there really isn't an alternative). Weird thing is that after creating the new folder I was able to change permissions on a user folder too, something that didn't work at all before. Looks like something got knocked back into place.
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Things didn't quite work as well as I thought. I can only create files in the root of the new share. Files and folders moved into the new share still can't be modified. I'll have to fiddle with permissions I guess.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:38 PM
  • yes, i was allocating a new user to some shared folders
    Monday, May 9, 2011 9:00 AM
  • no, I have just used WHS console
    Monday, May 9, 2011 9:00 AM
  • Still getting this, see

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/copperkiwi/whs/?action=view&current=whserror.png

Any ideas on how to fix?

or should I reinstall WHS?

Monday, May 9, 2011 9:02 AM