• Question

•  everytime I restart the WHS server I get an error message:

"Home server setup service server error"

any ideas of what can be wrong?

I have a clean install of my system.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 11:41 PM

All replies

• I think a better description of this problem is as follows:  

Mr. Hammond has recently reinstalled his server, he installs squeezecenter and itunes, configures it to autologin to enable itunes to work together with his Apple TV.

After all was done, this error shows up everytime the server boots up:  "Atleast one service or driver has failed to load under startup, please check Event Viewer for more info"  something like that

We check Event Viewer, and we find that Windows Home Server Setup Service is the one failing to start. We go into Services, and discover that this service is indeed not running. We try to start it manually, but this fails. Some error messages saying that the service has failed to start.

What is the purpose of this service? what does it do? and what can be done to fix it?  Any help in this would be great.. :)

Lars
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:09 AM
  • Lars, if you have an issue you should start your own thread, rather than hijacking someone else's (though admittedly it hasn't received much love so far). Please note, for instance, that Mr. Hammond states "I have a clean install of my system." and says nothing about any additional software or unsupported modifications to his server...

Mr. Hammond, you should investigate the server's event logs to see what service is being reported as not starting. We will need that information to help you.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:15 AM
  • I wasnt hijacking his thread, i wrote a better description about his problem. Me and Mr. Hammond are practically neighbours, and i help him with his server, i just felt that he didnt describe the problem very well.. :)

Lars
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:21 AM
  • I see. And what happens if you remove iTunes and SqueezeCenter (which are not WHS add-ins, so you're in "unsupported" territory) and undo the autologin setting? Does the error go away?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:16 PM