will no longer run, or install RRS feed

• General discussion

• I haven't run ICE in a while, and it looks like after the most recent updates to Windows 10, it will no longer start.  I was eventually (after many error messages) able to uninstall,  but running the installer again gives an error, then says it succeeded, but the application won't start.

Product: Image Composite Editor -- Error 1904. Module C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Image Composite Editor\ShellExtension.dll failed to register.  HRESULT -2147024703

With others posting similar problems and getting no replies, I guess this is the end of ICE.  What a shame. 

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 4:42 PM

All replies

• Update: I eventually got it to run.  It wasn't easy and I had to use some developer-level tools to diagnose the problem.   ICE couldn't find the correct x64 versions of the C++ runtime DLLs;  I don't know what changed, or why the ICE installer wasn't handling this situation.   I located correct versions, put them in ICE's own binary executable folder, and ICE now runs. 

Saturday, October 29, 2016 2:47 PM
  • Same issue here. Except that I am using ICE relatively often, so the problem must be recent ! And I can't use "developer-level tools" to troubleshoot and solve the problem. So please Mr Microsoft help us !!!

Sunday, November 6, 2016 7:41 PM
  • Well, 22 days passed, things happened in the background, and now ICE runs again. Even an older problem (occuring when exporting to jpg) seems now solved...

Monday, November 28, 2016 7:23 PM